How to Switch "From" Email Address in Outlook WITHOUT Opening a New Message Window

Anonymous
2024-05-14T20:31:44+00:00

Hi,

In old Outlook, I was easily able to change the "from" email address by selecting any email account that was set up in my Outlook. I could simply switch the "from" email and send the email I was working on. Everything worked as it should.

Now, when I change the "from" email, Outlook automatically opens a new message window instead of just changing the address in the email I'm trying to send. It's so incredibly frustrating.

PLEASE HELP!

Outlook | Windows | New Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  2. Anonymous
    2025-05-04T15:09:15+00:00

    This is infuriating for me and I've been dealing with it for the last year. Why is this feature still broken?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-04-25T13:44:05+00:00

    Hi - I had the same problem but was able to fix it in the new outlook. Here's what I did.

    This works if you have multiple emails in the same Microsoft tenant.

    1. log into your Microsoft Admin Center -> Exchange Admin center
    2. Select Recipients -> mailboxes
    3. Select the 1st user mailbox you have in Outlook
    4. Select the Delegation tab
    5. Click Edit on each of the 3 delegation types and add the 2nd email mailbox you have setup in Outlook.

    Repeat this for the 2nd email mailbox you have in Outlook, adding the 1st email mailbox to its delegation.

    Wait about 10min (or more?!?) for the settings to update and propagate down to Outlook.

    Now when you click on the "From" line, you will be presented with several more options. It's a little weird (4 addresses listed in different 2 sections), but you'll be able to switch the from address to your other address and it wont spawn another blank email... it'll keep your content.

    Hope this helps!

    Dave

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-03-18T06:22:15+00:00

    Couldnt agree more! Very frustrating!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2025-03-07T14:32:42+00:00

    This is an absolute deal breaker. I have a number of accounts I send from. What an horrible oversight. I see MS is removing other products I use. I believe this company may need some new leadership. It has lost its way.

    BTW - I DID NOT ask to be upgraded to the NEW Outlook. Your company just forced it upon me and lost all of my work that was pending.

    Do better!

    PS - I switched back to Classic and now NOTHING works!

    Jay

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments