How to Switch "From" Email Address in Outlook WITHOUT Opening a New Message Window

Anonymous
2024-05-14T20:31:44+00:00

Hi,

In old Outlook, I was easily able to change the "from" email address by selecting any email account that was set up in my Outlook. I could simply switch the "from" email and send the email I was working on. Everything worked as it should.

Now, when I change the "from" email, Outlook automatically opens a new message window instead of just changing the address in the email I'm trying to send. It's so incredibly frustrating.

PLEASE HELP!

Outlook | Windows | New Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-06-13T21:41:20+00:00

    Hello De Paul N. Kwizera MSFT,

    It has been over a year, and this new Outlook bug (or design flaw if you want to call it that) has not yet been fixed. Based on this thread, it impacts an extremely large number of users. When is this scheduled to be fixed, i.e. when will we have the functionality available in new Outlook? For the time being, I've gone back to classic Outlook and the experience of changing the from address without losing addressees or content (and the much better speed, and search, and local storage) is much better. I fear that classic Outlook will be phased out, but that must not happen until ALL functionality from classic Outlook is available. Can we have a date please?

    Kind regards,

    John.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-05-28T17:25:47+00:00

    Thank you so much, will give it a bash @daveK01010!

    I got the same issue and very annoying. Using delegate is a quick wind and not a solution.

    It caused lots of issue when switching between business accounts without the original email contents.

    Just got an update for Outlook but the issues are not resolved ye.

    Do you have idea what is the SLA for this downgraded features?

    Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-05-27T09:35:27+00:00

    Thank you so much, will give it a bash @daveK01010!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-05-05T02:57:23+00:00

    OMG so frstrating and so many other issues too, I cant reorder my email addresses either :(

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2025-05-04T15:27:14+00:00

    Hey Dave!

    Does your fix only work if you have some sort of business account?
    I am not able to access an "Exchange Admin Center" nor do I know what it is....

    When I google it, I don't have permission to access anything.

    Will your fix work with personal accounts on the outlook app? That's where my problem lies.

    -jessica

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments