How to Switch "From" Email Address in Outlook WITHOUT Opening a New Message Window

Anonymous
2024-05-14T20:31:44+00:00

Hi,

In old Outlook, I was easily able to change the "from" email address by selecting any email account that was set up in my Outlook. I could simply switch the "from" email and send the email I was working on. Everything worked as it should.

Now, when I change the "from" email, Outlook automatically opens a new message window instead of just changing the address in the email I'm trying to send. It's so incredibly frustrating.

PLEASE HELP!

Outlook | Windows | New Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2025-01-31T17:23:11+00:00

    De Paul,

    Based upon the experience of EVERY user on this thread, it is apparent that Microsoft needs to "repair" the functionality within the program. This is NOT an optional item and a MAJOR problem from any user with multiple businesses.

    When will Microsoft FIX what they broke?

    Kindly,

    Matt Schiff

    President

    Schiff Executive Benefits

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-03-07T14:32:42+00:00

    This is an absolute deal breaker. I have a number of accounts I send from. What an horrible oversight. I see MS is removing other products I use. I believe this company may need some new leadership. It has lost its way.

    BTW - I DID NOT ask to be upgraded to the NEW Outlook. Your company just forced it upon me and lost all of my work that was pending.

    Do better!

    PS - I switched back to Classic and now NOTHING works!

    Jay

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-04-25T13:44:05+00:00

    Hi - I had the same problem but was able to fix it in the new outlook. Here's what I did.

    This works if you have multiple emails in the same Microsoft tenant.

    1. log into your Microsoft Admin Center -> Exchange Admin center
    2. Select Recipients -> mailboxes
    3. Select the 1st user mailbox you have in Outlook
    4. Select the Delegation tab
    5. Click Edit on each of the 3 delegation types and add the 2nd email mailbox you have setup in Outlook.

    Repeat this for the 2nd email mailbox you have in Outlook, adding the 1st email mailbox to its delegation.

    Wait about 10min (or more?!?) for the settings to update and propagate down to Outlook.

    Now when you click on the "From" line, you will be presented with several more options. It's a little weird (4 addresses listed in different 2 sections), but you'll be able to switch the from address to your other address and it wont spawn another blank email... it'll keep your content.

    Hope this helps!

    Dave

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-09-04T18:37:09+00:00

    This is ab absolute JOKE Microsoft. As an MCSE since NT 4.0 in 1999 I can say this is one if not the the worse Office "upgrades" you have ever done. How is this OK? Who is running the show over there now? This is making me look at different Office software for every one of my clients. Office has turned into an inefficient business application. It is more suited towards home users and it is obvious Microsoft has stopped proper support for business users. This "new email" feature when changing your from address makes absolutely no sense. A lot of receptionists can't do their job at all with Outlook. Of course there is still no signs of Microsoft caring whatsoever. This "New Outlook" needs to go the way of the Dodo and Windows ME! Anyone still working at Microsoft that remembers that bundle of joy?

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-05-15T21:34:04+00:00

    Dear Todd B B;

    Hope you are doing great.

    Based on the information you have provided; it seems that the issue might be related to the email addresses in red. Are they email addresses that you have recently added to your contacts or are they email addresses that you have been using for a while? Are these email address in the same organization? I tested this on my end, and I got the same as yours, I added many addresses in my new outlook, it seems when open first compose email windows and change the "From" address, when select the email address form the same domain, it opens in the same window, however, when selecting an email address from different organization (With different domain), it always opens the new window.

    This seems to the design behavior of the new outlook. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Please kindly understand that many functions are not designed at present. To get this feature more quickly, I suggest creating an entry as a feature suggestion in feedback collection at Outlook · Community (microsoft.com) and many other users could vote for it. Many features of our current products are designed and upgraded based on customers’ feedback. You can also make suggestions on that website and hope Microsoft will notice this in the future.

    I will update here if I get any useful update on this feature. Thank you for your understanding and support.

    For other concerns, please do not hesitate to add you post in the Microsoft Community Team.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments