How to Switch "From" Email Address in Outlook WITHOUT Opening a New Message Window

Anonymous
2024-05-14T20:31:44+00:00

Hi,

In old Outlook, I was easily able to change the "from" email address by selecting any email account that was set up in my Outlook. I could simply switch the "from" email and send the email I was working on. Everything worked as it should.

Now, when I change the "from" email, Outlook automatically opens a new message window instead of just changing the address in the email I'm trying to send. It's so incredibly frustrating.

PLEASE HELP!

Outlook | Windows | New Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-08-26T02:12:29+00:00

    I have the same issue when trying to select between emails, HOWEVER, if you select "other email address" on dropdown when you click on the From line and start to type the email address you want to use, it doesn't do the new window/clear out recipients and prior conversation. Hope that helps while they work on this version of the program.

    Was this answer helpful?

    40+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-07-25T18:20:52+00:00

    Not only does it open in a new window, but it loses any recipients which were already populated. This makes the new Outlook completely unusable for someone who was leveraging the ability to reply to emails from addresses different than the original recipient.

    The existing functionality of a program should be the bare minimum ability of a new program intending to replace it.

    Major disappointment.

    Was this answer helpful?

    30+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-05-16T12:35:49+00:00

    De Paul,

    Thanks for your response and for testing this out. Yes, it appears that, if the email have a different domain, Outlook defaults to a new email. It's really unfortunate that it does this as this is a feature I used all the time on the old Outlook. I've experienced so many downgrades and loss of functionality with new Outlook that I can't believe Microsoft ever released it. It's super frustrating and disappointing. And, it seams I can't even switch back to the old Outlook now.

    Anyway, I guess the lesson is to not break software that's already working.

    Thanks again. I wish there was a solution to this glitch but, given all the issues with New Outlook, I'm not hopeful this will ever be fixed...

    Todd

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-07-24T16:57:43+00:00

    I am having the same issue and this is very frustrating.

    This is a major downgrade with the new outlook and needs to get fixed asap!!!!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-05-15T12:17:54+00:00

    DePaul, thank you for your note.

    That is exactly what I've been doing and how it should work. But, it doesn't. See below.

    The issue is that if I select any of the alt addresses in yellow, it works. But, if I select any of the addresses in red, it open a blank new email message. It never did this in old Outlook.

    Let me know if you have any idea what the issue is. Thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments