Gmail app keeps asking for Microsoft account credentials - not able to login

Anonymous
2024-01-25T09:50:09+00:00

Hi,

Since yesterday (24-01-2024) Gmail app won't sync with my Hotmail account. This email account is my default one, and syncs email, calendar and contacts.

Tried to remove account from devices, restart and add account again (manual configuration).

Server is defined as "m.hotmail.com", port "443", Security "SSL/TLS"

It as two options to proceed:

-"Next" - returns a information to check account data or change to modern authentication

-"modern authentication" - tries to sign on a google page (https://enterprise.google.co./exchangeoauth2rediret...) and returns a message "Can't add your personal email".

This happens both in a basic tablet with android 10 and in a Redmi Note 9 Pro (running stock Miui on Android 12)

What could be causing this? any help tp solve?

Thanks

Outlook | Outlook for mobile | Outlook for Android | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-02-25T22:23:30+00:00

    I am using the Gmail app on a Samsung S10e. I currently have version 2024.02.04.604829058.

    I have also been having authentication problems with my outlook.com account for the last few weeks. I just added the same account using a different email alias, following the steps here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/set-up-email-in-android-email-app-71147974-7aca-491b-978a-ab15e360434c

    In initial testing, the newly-set-up account is working OK to synchronise email and calendar.

    However, the news in https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/outlook-and-other-apps-are-unable-to-connect-to-outlook-com-when-using-basic-authentication-f4202ebf-89c6-4a8a-bec3-3d60cf7deaef is quite disturbing. It appears that MS will stop supporting Basic authentication against outlook.com email (even using an app password, I assume). But it looks like the replacement (Oauth authentication) will only support POP and IMAP protocols. Thus, third-party email apps - even if they support Oauth - will not be able to synchronise calendar and contact info.

    This is a serious loss of functionality! Can anyone at Microsoft speak about whether there will be a way to synchronise calendar and contacts on an Android device using the built-in (Gmail) technology?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-04-07T11:34:10+00:00

    What a shame, every couple of days I have to delete and recreate both the Tiscali IMAP and the Gmail mailbox because they keep saying bad password or Auth fail. Resetting does not work either. As soon as I recreate the accounts they immediately start working. For just a couple of days. That's so frustrating ...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-04-17T21:29:57+00:00

    What a shame, every couple of days I have to delete and recreate both the Tiscali IMAP and the Gmail mailbox because they keep saying bad password or Auth fail. Resetting does not work either. As soon as I recreate the accounts they immediately start working. For just a couple of days. That's so frustrating ...

    I am now receiving this authentication failures on all my outlook accounts on my Pixel, and also on my IPad when using Gmail. This is an issue that hopefully will be resolved soon.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-04-20T06:51:47+00:00

    I have March 31,2024 and gmail app is asking for credentials. I'm just not dealing with it and using the native outlook app. It sucks using two different app, but the ridiculousness of having to do that after a stupid update or whatever as happened. Me personally, id rather do that way than type my info again, not knowing why I should.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-04-22T09:32:27+00:00

    I'm experiencing the same issue, I have enabled 2FA and keep having to add new app passwords but then a day or so later it will fail again without any obvious warning and as such I'm not necessarily aware that I'm not receiving emails. Sending as is also failing. It's really frustrating as I wish to avoid having to use multiple email clients.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments