Gmail app keeps asking for Microsoft account credentials - not able to login

Anonymous
2024-01-25T09:50:09+00:00

Hi,

Since yesterday (24-01-2024) Gmail app won't sync with my Hotmail account. This email account is my default one, and syncs email, calendar and contacts.

Tried to remove account from devices, restart and add account again (manual configuration).

Server is defined as "m.hotmail.com", port "443", Security "SSL/TLS"

It as two options to proceed:

-"Next" - returns a information to check account data or change to modern authentication

-"modern authentication" - tries to sign on a google page (https://enterprise.google.co./exchangeoauth2rediret...) and returns a message "Can't add your personal email".

This happens both in a basic tablet with android 10 and in a Redmi Note 9 Pro (running stock Miui on Android 12)

What could be causing this? any help tp solve?

Thanks

Outlook | Outlook for mobile | Outlook for Android | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-07-22T02:53:18+00:00

    Very glad to hear I'm not alone! I think it's probably up to Google to fix this by implementing so-called "Modern Authentication" properly.

    Anyway, frustration drove me to install Outlook for Android (which may have been Microsoft's intention all along...)

    • r

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-07-22T00:21:09+00:00

    Its been 6 months. Anyone find a solution yet?

    I've been experiencing the same issue for months and still no resolution. I'm using an "app password" which seems to sync some of the time but sync periodically fails for no reason and throws me to the authentication page. The option "Switch to Modern Authentication" fails.

    Is there any hope of a root cause analysis and proper resolution from Google or Microsoft? Mail, calendar and contact sync have been working perfectly for years and OAuth 2.0 authentication is quite mature.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-04-22T09:32:27+00:00

    I'm experiencing the same issue, I have enabled 2FA and keep having to add new app passwords but then a day or so later it will fail again without any obvious warning and as such I'm not necessarily aware that I'm not receiving emails. Sending as is also failing. It's really frustrating as I wish to avoid having to use multiple email clients.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-04-20T06:51:47+00:00

    I have March 31,2024 and gmail app is asking for credentials. I'm just not dealing with it and using the native outlook app. It sucks using two different app, but the ridiculousness of having to do that after a stupid update or whatever as happened. Me personally, id rather do that way than type my info again, not knowing why I should.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-04-17T21:29:57+00:00

    What a shame, every couple of days I have to delete and recreate both the Tiscali IMAP and the Gmail mailbox because they keep saying bad password or Auth fail. Resetting does not work either. As soon as I recreate the accounts they immediately start working. For just a couple of days. That's so frustrating ...

    I am now receiving this authentication failures on all my outlook accounts on my Pixel, and also on my IPad when using Gmail. This is an issue that hopefully will be resolved soon.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments