Using New Outlook on Windows for personal email, calendar, and contact management
Sorry to hear that! Wondering if it is maybe a system administrator setting as the link does populate for me once I send the e-mail.
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
I recently switched over to the new version of MS Outlook. I noticed that when I'm composing an email message in which I am typing in an email address, the email address no longer auto-formats into a clickable hyperlink. I've looked in each Settings category on MS Office and Outlook and can't find a solution. I never had this issue with the old version of Outlook.
I have had to manually create a "mailto" hyperlink every time I add an email into a message. If I type "mailto:" before the email address, it will auto-format to a link, but it will still include the words "mailto:" - I have to manually go in and edit the title of the hyperlink.
All of my emails are formatted in HTML as per my settings. This issue persists across browser and desktop versions.
Please see examples of issue below:
(No auto-format)
"Hello,
I've included John Smith's contact information below:
*John *****@sample.com" << plain text
(Adding "mailto:" to autoformat hyperlink)
"Hello,
I've included John Smith's contact information below:
John Smithmailto:*****@sample.com*" << clickable link
(After manually editing title of mailto hyperlink - Desired outcome)
"Hello,
I've included John Smith's contact information below:
*John *****@sample.com" << clickable link
Using New Outlook on Windows for personal email, calendar, and contact management
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Sorry to hear that! Wondering if it is maybe a system administrator setting as the link does populate for me once I send the e-mail.
This is exactly what I was doing until I decided to try sending without the hyperlink showing. I was pleasantly surprised to see that my sent e-mail included the hyperlink. Wondering if the issue is maybe a system administrator setting??
I'm beginning to think this maybe a system administrator setting. I'm going to dig into this a bit more. I'll report back if I find anything.
Unfortunately, no. The fact that hyperlinks don't work any longer when typing an email and you are no longer able to right click or change the default dictionary to add a new word, seems important - at least it is to me. Microsoft's response is to tell you that they are continually rolling out improvements - I think somewhat based on how many complaints they get. My only advice is to complain. Really amazing that these very useful processes are gone. Makes me want to switch to Gmail!
Yes, it works in your sent mail but you should be able to test it while composing an email. You can highlight the URL, in your email while composing, right click, and select 'open hyperlink' - but why these extra steps?