Using New Outlook on Windows for personal email, calendar, and contact management
Issue still not fixed
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
I recently switched over to the new version of MS Outlook. I noticed that when I'm composing an email message in which I am typing in an email address, the email address no longer auto-formats into a clickable hyperlink. I've looked in each Settings category on MS Office and Outlook and can't find a solution. I never had this issue with the old version of Outlook.
I have had to manually create a "mailto" hyperlink every time I add an email into a message. If I type "mailto:" before the email address, it will auto-format to a link, but it will still include the words "mailto:" - I have to manually go in and edit the title of the hyperlink.
All of my emails are formatted in HTML as per my settings. This issue persists across browser and desktop versions.
Please see examples of issue below:
(No auto-format)
"Hello,
I've included John Smith's contact information below:
*John *****@sample.com" << plain text
(Adding "mailto:" to autoformat hyperlink)
"Hello,
I've included John Smith's contact information below:
John Smithmailto:*****@sample.com*" << clickable link
(After manually editing title of mailto hyperlink - Desired outcome)
"Hello,
I've included John Smith's contact information below:
*John *****@sample.com" << clickable link
Using New Outlook on Windows for personal email, calendar, and contact management
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Issue still not fixed
Agreed. The older, previous version of Outlook was more stable and user friendly.
I like the older version better. I will continue to use it as long as it is available
Tagging in for this being annoying! Come on Microsoft, your quality has gone downhill so much. YOU SHOULD BE ADDING FEATURES, NOT REMOVING THE FOUNDATION OF YOUR SUCCESS.......TOO BIG TO FAIL I SUPPOSE.
I agree Mike.
Can't beleive this is still an issue since Lauren raised it nearly 10 months ago. It worked fine in the old Mail App but when I click on that now it automatically converts into New Outlook!!
If I cut and paste a website link that works OK and becomes a blue hyperlink so why can't it work with emails then?
Lauren have you taken this up with MS support?
Continuing to complain on this thread in hopes MS support gets their stuff together! This is the MOST ANNOYING THING ABOUT THE NEW OUTLOOK. Every time I get that pop up message about how I like the new Outlook I think of this situation EXACTLY. I am constantly sharing contact information with others, and this is a huge annoyance/waste of time.