New Outlook does not auto-format email address as hyperlink

Anonymous
2024-01-19T19:07:07+00:00

I recently switched over to the new version of MS Outlook. I noticed that when I'm composing an email message in which I am typing in an email address, the email address no longer auto-formats into a clickable hyperlink. I've looked in each Settings category on MS Office and Outlook and can't find a solution. I never had this issue with the old version of Outlook.

I have had to manually create a "mailto" hyperlink every time I add an email into a message. If I type "mailto:" before the email address, it will auto-format to a link, but it will still include the words "mailto:" - I have to manually go in and edit the title of the hyperlink.

All of my emails are formatted in HTML as per my settings. This issue persists across browser and desktop versions.

Please see examples of issue below:

(No auto-format)

"Hello,

I've included John Smith's contact information below:

*John *****@sample.com" << plain text

(Adding "mailto:" to autoformat hyperlink)

"Hello,

I've included John Smith's contact information below:

John Smithmailto:*****@sample.com*" << clickable link

(After manually editing title of mailto hyperlink - Desired outcome)

"Hello,

I've included John Smith's contact information below:

*John *****@sample.com" << clickable link

Outlook | Windows | New Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-06-30T16:38:51+00:00

    I didn't get updated until a couple of months ago. It does not show as a hyperlink in the draft or in the sent version. Based on what was said here, I sent myself an email with an email address. The email I received has the email address as a hyperlink.

    Yes, that's great. However, we must have a visual. How many times have I done the copy and paste strokes only to have it paste the previously copied info?! For various reasons, sometimes things don't "take." We are not unreasonable for requiring evidence that the program is functioning as we expect.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-06-12T21:48:33+00:00

    Thanks for the info but I'm on a Mac.Do you know if they offered a fix for Mac?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-06-12T13:50:58+00:00

    After the monthly Windows 11 update on June 11, 2025, this appears to be FIXEDI

    I shared a page on Microsoft Edge to Outlook. A new email was created and it had the link to the shared page formatted as a hyperlink.

    I did not have to copy the link text, use CTRL-K to open the link editor, and format the hyperlink myself.

    THANKS FOR THE FIX!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-04-24T17:03:28+00:00

    How is it possible to compose the email without the links showing?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2025-04-24T17:01:40+00:00

    Yes, I know.But it does not link automatically when you are composing the email.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments