New Outlook does not auto-format email address as hyperlink

Anonymous
2024-01-19T19:07:07+00:00

I recently switched over to the new version of MS Outlook. I noticed that when I'm composing an email message in which I am typing in an email address, the email address no longer auto-formats into a clickable hyperlink. I've looked in each Settings category on MS Office and Outlook and can't find a solution. I never had this issue with the old version of Outlook.

I have had to manually create a "mailto" hyperlink every time I add an email into a message. If I type "mailto:" before the email address, it will auto-format to a link, but it will still include the words "mailto:" - I have to manually go in and edit the title of the hyperlink.

All of my emails are formatted in HTML as per my settings. This issue persists across browser and desktop versions.

Please see examples of issue below:

(No auto-format)

"Hello,

I've included John Smith's contact information below:

*John *****@sample.com" << plain text

(Adding "mailto:" to autoformat hyperlink)

"Hello,

I've included John Smith's contact information below:

John Smithmailto:*****@sample.com*" << clickable link

(After manually editing title of mailto hyperlink - Desired outcome)

"Hello,

I've included John Smith's contact information below:

*John *****@sample.com" << clickable link

Outlook | Windows | New Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2025-06-12T13:50:58+00:00

    After the monthly Windows 11 update on June 11, 2025, this appears to be FIXEDI

    I shared a page on Microsoft Edge to Outlook. A new email was created and it had the link to the shared page formatted as a hyperlink.

    I did not have to copy the link text, use CTRL-K to open the link editor, and format the hyperlink myself.

    THANKS FOR THE FIX!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-04-24T17:01:40+00:00

    Yes, I know.But it does not link automatically when you are composing the email.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-01-06T18:55:01+00:00

    True. New Outlook still not auto-formatting email addresses and hyperlinks in email messages.

    I have to highlight the text, copy it, CTRL-K to get popup, and paste the text in order to get a hyperlink properly formatted in a message.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-01-06T18:41:49+00:00

    It has been a year since this has been brough up. Still no resolution to fix the hyperlink situation.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-01-21T06:24:14+00:00

    Hi, Lauren I.

    Good day!

    Thank you for posting to Microsoft Community. We are glad to assist you.

    According to your description, I understand that you are experiencing an issue with the auto-formatting of email addresses as hyperlinks in the new version of Outlook for Windows.

    Unfortunately, based on our checking and research that we did not find the option for this auto-formatting setting as well. Since New Outlook for Windows is on-developing, and the given issue which is approaching into the design-level that we could not do much for you.

    Thus, would you please be kindly to talk with New Outlook for Windows' engineering team directly - Contact support and provide feedback in new Outlook for Windows - Microsoft Support.

    Thanks for your cooperation and your understanding would be highly appreciated.

    Hope you all the best!

    Alex | Microsoft Community Moderator.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments