New Outlook does not auto-format email address as hyperlink

Anonymous
2024-01-19T19:07:07+00:00

I recently switched over to the new version of MS Outlook. I noticed that when I'm composing an email message in which I am typing in an email address, the email address no longer auto-formats into a clickable hyperlink. I've looked in each Settings category on MS Office and Outlook and can't find a solution. I never had this issue with the old version of Outlook.

I have had to manually create a "mailto" hyperlink every time I add an email into a message. If I type "mailto:" before the email address, it will auto-format to a link, but it will still include the words "mailto:" - I have to manually go in and edit the title of the hyperlink.

All of my emails are formatted in HTML as per my settings. This issue persists across browser and desktop versions.

Please see examples of issue below:

(No auto-format)

"Hello,

I've included John Smith's contact information below:

*John *****@sample.com" << plain text

(Adding "mailto:" to autoformat hyperlink)

"Hello,

I've included John Smith's contact information below:

John Smithmailto:*****@sample.com*" << clickable link

(After manually editing title of mailto hyperlink - Desired outcome)

"Hello,

I've included John Smith's contact information below:

*John *****@sample.com" << clickable link

Outlook | Windows | New Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-11-03T14:48:08+00:00

    According to Microsoft, to get problems shared with developers, it is necessary to submit the problem report to "Feedback Hub".

    I have submitted a Feedback Hub entry about new outlook not auto-formatting email addresses and URLs as links.

    If you have this problem, please submit it to Feedback Hub.

    This community forum is not the place to communicate with Microsoft developers.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-10-26T09:13:04+00:00

    I agree Mike.

    Can't beleive this is still an issue since Lauren raised it nearly 10 months ago. It worked fine in the old Mail App but when I click on that now it automatically converts into New Outlook!!

    If I cut and paste a website link that works OK and becomes a blue hyperlink so why can't it work with emails then?

    Lauren have you taken this up with MS support?

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-10-10T15:50:24+00:00

    Tagging in for this being annoying! Come on Microsoft, your quality has gone downhill so much. YOU SHOULD BE ADDING FEATURES, NOT REMOVING THE FOUNDATION OF YOUR SUCCESS.......TOO BIG TO FAIL I SUPPOSE.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-08-30T16:41:57+00:00

    Is there a solution to this yet?

    Works perfectly fine in the old version.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-08-09T08:21:14+00:00

    It is now August, and this is still an issue, along with a myriad other issues with new Outlook.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments