Why is Outlook on my Mac suddenly crashing consistently?

Anonymous
2024-03-19T22:22:31+00:00

I have been trying to open Outlook on my MacBook Pro all day, and it has consistently crashed. I was just using Outlook last night and had not made any changes to apps or settings since trying to open Outlook this morning. MacBook is running Sonoma 14.3.1. Never any issues until now. Consistent error messages....even after uninstalling and re-installing...per Microsoft support which was not very helpful.

Below is the most recent message I received (minus hundreds of lines due to character limits).

Microsoft Error Reporting log version: 2.0

Error Signature:

Exception: EXC_CRASH (SIGTRAP)

ExceptionEnumString: 50331648

Exception Code: 0x00000001 (0x0000000000000000)

Date/Time: 2024-03-19 22:11:55 +0000

Application Name: Microsoft Outlook

Application Bundle ID: com.microsoft.Outlook

Application Signature: OPIM

Application Bitness: x64

Application Version: 16.83.1.24031813

Crashed Module Name: merp

Crashed Module Version: 16.83.24031813

Crashed Module Offset: 0x000000000000559c

Blame Module Name: Microsoft Outlook

Blame Module Version: 16.83.24031813

UnsymbolicatedChecksum: DCA9BCB06082872F879C6092737B3813

Blame Module Offset: 0x0000000000034334

StackHash: 3334bf3e6cfb5dc_50331648_main_phx_arm

Application LCID: 1033

Extra app info: Reg=en Loc=0x0409

Build Type: Release

Crashed thread Stack Pointer: 0x_000000016afdd9d0

Crashed thread: 0

uncaught ObjC exception, reason: The window has been marked as needing another Update Constraints in Window pass, but it has already had more Update Constraints in Window passes than there are views in the window.

<OLToolbarValidatingWindow: 0x12505d640> 0x282 (642) {{0, 89}, {1696, 990}} en

OS Information

Operating System: Mac OS X 14.3.1 (Build 23D60)

CPU: ARM64e, Logical CPU Count: 12

Physical Memory: 16384 MB

Device_model: Mac14,10

Screen: 1728.000000 x 1117.000000, bitsPerPixel = 24, frame = 0.000000, 0.000000, 1728.000000, 1117.000000

CrashedApp_Virtual_Memory_Size_MB: 406330.625000

CrashedApp_Resident_Memory_Size_MB: 456.703125

CrashedApp_Memory_Footprint_MB: 158.661926

ErrorReportingDeviceUUID: 483A116B-B39F-5CBD-82C1-D981E3B9C0DA

ErrorReportingUUID: 44C40BF0-BDD8-402C-A229-42DB172A9594

ULS UUID: EA80B636-3297-4FFC-A9B9-B49947795BF0

CrashedLogSessionId: EA80B636-3297-4FFC-A9B9-B49947795BF0

TimeFromLaunch: 0 hours, 0 minutes, 5 seconds

CrashedSessionDuration: 5

Total errors on this client: 210

Microsoft Application Information:

SHSuffixKey_1: _arm

AudienceChannel: CC

Audience: Production

SHSuffixKey_0: _phx

PreviewEnabled: true

AudienceGroup: Production

Outlook | MacOS | Legacy Outlook for Mac | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-03-27T21:06:06+00:00

    I've tried Victoria's steps, and subsequent steps by MellyP17, and no dice. The problem persists. I would be willing to give up and use legacy outlook but search functionality is completely broken, so my productivity is seriously affected. The only thing that works (for a day or so) is to uninstall Outlook completely, then reinstall. But again, only for a day or so, and it requires setting everything up again which takes the better part of an hour. Unwilling to do this every day. Any other suggestions for a fix? This is terrible... I will install a new mail client in the meantime.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-03-27T14:25:44+00:00

    I was having the same issue. I was able to fix it by closing the "Show Whats New" window. Once I got rid of that window, everything started working as intended. I hope this helps. It was very frustrating to have outlook crash all the time

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-03-27T00:29:32+00:00

    Yes(!) MellyP17. Thank you! I implemented your resolution and it appears to be working (at least it has been for the last several hours). Note: I did try to implement the legacy outlook workaround via the command line option I provided in my earlier post and then continuing with steps 2-4 as you indicated, but this failed. Only when I performed the workaround as indicated (including steps from Victoria to access the outlook legacy version as you specify in step 1) did the fix work. Thank you again! Much appreciated!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-03-26T21:41:19+00:00

    I was having this problem all week and I think I resolved it:

    1. Follow steps from Victoria just so you can access outlook as a legacy version
    2. From there, go to Help > Clear Application Data
    3. Check the box to clear Experimental Features. It will tell you to restart.
    4. You can now turn off Legacy Outlook on the top right. It'll refresh the app. It might crash the first time, but the second time it stays open (at least, that's what happened to me).

    I've since restarted the app a couple of times to make sure and so far so good. Hope it helps!

    Editing this post to say that a new update must've happened because it is crashing again :( I was able to quickly switch to legacy before it crashed and I stayed on it. This needs to get resolved.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-03-26T15:31:54+00:00

    Yes, I have the exact same issue. Please, Microsoft, find fix.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments