Why is Outlook on my Mac suddenly crashing consistently?

Anonymous
2024-03-19T22:22:31+00:00

I have been trying to open Outlook on my MacBook Pro all day, and it has consistently crashed. I was just using Outlook last night and had not made any changes to apps or settings since trying to open Outlook this morning. MacBook is running Sonoma 14.3.1. Never any issues until now. Consistent error messages....even after uninstalling and re-installing...per Microsoft support which was not very helpful.

Below is the most recent message I received (minus hundreds of lines due to character limits).

Microsoft Error Reporting log version: 2.0

Error Signature:

Exception: EXC_CRASH (SIGTRAP)

ExceptionEnumString: 50331648

Exception Code: 0x00000001 (0x0000000000000000)

Date/Time: 2024-03-19 22:11:55 +0000

Application Name: Microsoft Outlook

Application Bundle ID: com.microsoft.Outlook

Application Signature: OPIM

Application Bitness: x64

Application Version: 16.83.1.24031813

Crashed Module Name: merp

Crashed Module Version: 16.83.24031813

Crashed Module Offset: 0x000000000000559c

Blame Module Name: Microsoft Outlook

Blame Module Version: 16.83.24031813

UnsymbolicatedChecksum: DCA9BCB06082872F879C6092737B3813

Blame Module Offset: 0x0000000000034334

StackHash: 3334bf3e6cfb5dc_50331648_main_phx_arm

Application LCID: 1033

Extra app info: Reg=en Loc=0x0409

Build Type: Release

Crashed thread Stack Pointer: 0x_000000016afdd9d0

Crashed thread: 0

uncaught ObjC exception, reason: The window has been marked as needing another Update Constraints in Window pass, but it has already had more Update Constraints in Window passes than there are views in the window.

<OLToolbarValidatingWindow: 0x12505d640> 0x282 (642) {{0, 89}, {1696, 990}} en

OS Information

Operating System: Mac OS X 14.3.1 (Build 23D60)

CPU: ARM64e, Logical CPU Count: 12

Physical Memory: 16384 MB

Device_model: Mac14,10

Screen: 1728.000000 x 1117.000000, bitsPerPixel = 24, frame = 0.000000, 0.000000, 1728.000000, 1117.000000

CrashedApp_Virtual_Memory_Size_MB: 406330.625000

CrashedApp_Resident_Memory_Size_MB: 456.703125

CrashedApp_Memory_Footprint_MB: 158.661926

ErrorReportingDeviceUUID: 483A116B-B39F-5CBD-82C1-D981E3B9C0DA

ErrorReportingUUID: 44C40BF0-BDD8-402C-A229-42DB172A9594

ULS UUID: EA80B636-3297-4FFC-A9B9-B49947795BF0

CrashedLogSessionId: EA80B636-3297-4FFC-A9B9-B49947795BF0

TimeFromLaunch: 0 hours, 0 minutes, 5 seconds

CrashedSessionDuration: 5

Total errors on this client: 210

Microsoft Application Information:

SHSuffixKey_1: _arm

AudienceChannel: CC

Audience: Production

SHSuffixKey_0: _phx

PreviewEnabled: true

AudienceGroup: Production

Outlook | MacOS | Legacy Outlook for Mac | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-06-10T22:34:58+00:00

    Same issue. Not only Outlook, also PowerPoint. Ever since updating to Mac OS14.5 - Just randomly locks up and freezes.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-05-13T08:15:18+00:00

    Thanks, this fix helped me - I created a new profile.

    The consistent crashing loop also started for me after the latest upgrade to Sonoma (OSX 14.3.1).

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-04-23T19:27:53+00:00

    Tech support just sent me this:

    "We have identified this as a BUG and this is resolved after installing the latest update. Please install the latest update for Outlook in https://officecdn.microsoft.com/pr/C1297A47-86C4-4C1F-97FA-950631F94777/MacAutoupdate/Microsoft_Outlook_16.84.24041420_Updater.pkg and check if that helps."

    I've completed the install and new Outlook seems to be working again.

    Hope this helps!

    This did not solve my problem. I still cannot search my "in box" for messages. I have to search on my iPhone and re-email to me so I can get access to a message. Both the new version of Outlook and Legacy respond the same way. So disappointing. May have to switch to my Apple client, which works on my home Mac as well as calendar.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-04-15T06:50:59+00:00

    For me, I narrowed it down to the "My day" sidebar in New Outlook for Mac. With that disabled the crashes stopped.

    The problem is, to disable it you have to be very fast at the startup to disable it. It took many attempts..

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-03-27T00:29:32+00:00

    Yes(!) MellyP17. Thank you! I implemented your resolution and it appears to be working (at least it has been for the last several hours). Note: I did try to implement the legacy outlook workaround via the command line option I provided in my earlier post and then continuing with steps 2-4 as you indicated, but this failed. Only when I performed the workaround as indicated (including steps from Victoria to access the outlook legacy version as you specify in step 1) did the fix work. Thank you again! Much appreciated!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments