Using older versions of Outlook for Mac for personal email and calendar
Give us back Legacy Outlook!
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
It also says, "Migrated data is available in New Outlook and can be accessed in On My Computer".
Is this a legitimate Outlook message?
Using older versions of Outlook for Mac for personal email and calendar
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Give us back Legacy Outlook!
My "On My Computer" file is empty - no emails yet I keep getting the same message. A step by steps set of instructions on how to do what you want us to do would really be appreciated. Thanks.
Dear LK Hill,
Good day! Thank you for posting to Microsoft Community. We are happy to assist you.
Yes, this is a legitimate message from Outlook. When you migrate data from Legacy Outlook to New Outlook, a copy of the data is stored on your computer. The message you are seeing is a reminder to delete the copy of the migrated data to free up space on your computer. The migrated data is still available in New Outlook and can be accessed in the "On My Computer" folder.
If you have any further questions or concerns, please let me know.
Thanks for your precious time. Have a nice day. Sincerely,Sherry | Microsoft Community Moderator
Joe: I agree with you about all these shortcomings of New Outlook. I do hope Sherry will get back to all the users who have expressed dismay about New Outlook.
I reluctantly switched to New Outlook because Outlook kept beating me up if I didn't. The new interface for me as a mac user is a mess.
The pop-up message that LK Hill queried is genuine as Sherry says, but it's multiply ambiguous. For a start it orders you to 'delete' the migrated data and has a button for 'delete'. But it's not clear whether this means click 'delete' to delete the migrated data or to delete the pop-up message. And if it's to delete the migrated data, there's no certainty that your data will still be there when the process ends.
I spent 90 minutes in fruitless discussion with a MS technician today about this very issue. He referred to this thread but wrongly thought everything had been sorted by Sherry. It hasn't. After multiple restarts and much messing about, the same old stupid message returned and is staring me in the face right now.
I'm not going to risk deleting the migrated data until MS write a comprehensible pop-up message explaining exactly what to do, how to do it, and what the result will be.
New Outlook runs slow for me and this may be because I haven't deleted the migrated data. But without certainty, I can't risk it.
BTW, I'd also like to know how to back up a copy of Outlook data using Time MachineDoes Time Machine actually do this?
Wake up, please, Microsoft, and tackle this problem about migrated data for Mac users and others. SHERRY - please answer this thread in detail - thanks.
That's very bad. Sherry Chen: please respond.
I have seen no progress from Microsoft Support yet. In the past week they asked me to record a video of what was happening on my Mac. I told them that this was not completely possible as what happens when I do the copy deletion is my Mac slowly runs out of application memory over the course of 2+ hours and then crashes. I did record and send to them a few short video "snapshots" (MS Support has a file upload limit of 25 MB) of my application memory (as shown in Activity Monitor) running lower and lower before my Mac again crashed. Fortunately I had time to do this over the Memorial day weekend, when I wasn't working and could spend time doing this while watching basketball games.
Anyway, my recommendation to people who haven't migrated to New Outlook yet: don't do it until Microsoft addresses these issues!