I'm getting a message in New Outlook that says ""Delete copy of migrated data from Legacy Outlook to free up space."

Anonymous
2024-05-07T11:48:36+00:00

It also says, "Migrated data is available in New Outlook and can be accessed in On My Computer".

Is this a legitimate Outlook message?

Outlook | MacOS | Legacy Outlook for Mac | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-09-12T18:16:23+00:00

    What is the point of that message? Is it telling me that I am running out of memory? Also, there were nice features in the legacy version that you should incorporate into the new version. Like the views of day or week etc...why don't you incorporate those into the new version. It was so helpful.

    Also, many of my folders have disappeared in the Move Function - does that have anything to do with this message about the versions?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-07-31T14:53:31+00:00

    Yes, as a Mac user too, I fully agree with this. It's so weird that when I delete emails or shift them into folders, they often download again... so I then need to delete them again. This never used to happen.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-07-31T13:57:46+00:00

    Office 365 in general is a mess of ****. I have to set an automatic copy of all my emails on multiple PCs to save my communications. I use a MAC version of Outlook for much of my daily work and it is the worst software I have ever used. MS has decided to continue to make it worse. The Office 365 programming has slowed my once fast MAC to a real POS. If I did not have close to 30 years of emails saved in Outlook, I would abandon MS for good.

    No one at the helm of MS cares about the users anymore. I have refused to hit the "delete" legacy option because I absolutely don't Trust MS to do anything good for us. I still remember Windows "Millennium" where I lost six months of information that cost me.

    I would recommend no one press the "delete" because there is no one at MS who cares if you keep your own data.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-07-16T21:09:52+00:00

    It also says, "Migrated data is available in New Outlook and can be accessed in On My Computer".

    Is this a legitimate Outlook message?

    I too had the same question as it prompts me every time I open Outlook for Mac. I was happy to see a few months ago that it had imported my archived mail from legacy. But as for this message I do not trust it for fear that I will lose 10 plus years of mail that I routinely refer to.

    Here is how I do it.

    In legacy I created folders called Archive Mail In and Archive Sent Mail in "On My Computer" (I did this years ago). Then I applied a rule to my inbox and sent box to move mail older than 90 days to the two folders I created in legacy under on my computer.

    Because I work mostly in the new Outlook now, those rules only work when I switch back to legacy and apply them manually. The new Outlook will eventually update. Sometimes if I can't find what I need in new Outlook, I switch to legacy and find it there. I agree with other posters, the search in new Outlook is quite clunky.

    But I still will not delete alleged duplicate data.

    I hope this helps someone.

    Rick

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-06-26T17:17:33+00:00

    Adding to my earlier comments:

    This is what I got after this morning's update:

    https://insider.microsoft365.com/en-us/blog/local-folders-now-available-in-the-new-outlook-for-mac

    Reads great. But here is the funny thing. Even after the alleged update, I still don't see the menu shown:

    File > Import On My Computer Data.

    I think they've lost the plot on what is it exactly they are trying to achieve with these changes...a very simple basic requirement of Export(ing) to save backup copy of messages is still missing. And no one has any clue about what specific data is being talked about.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments