I'm getting a message in New Outlook that says ""Delete copy of migrated data from Legacy Outlook to free up space."

Anonymous
2024-05-07T11:48:36+00:00

It also says, "Migrated data is available in New Outlook and can be accessed in On My Computer".

Is this a legitimate Outlook message?

Outlook | MacOS | Legacy Outlook for Mac | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-06-18T21:24:15+00:00

    I opened a ticket with Microsoft support. Their reply is quite unbelievable:

    "This is Christian from Microsoft 365 for Business. As for your question what is happening here. We do not know at the moment. However, you may want to create a new Outlook for Mac Profile to see if this will resolve the issue. Please see this linkfor doing the Outlook profile"

    That implies that they have no documentation of this alert having been written into their code. I'd say that maybe it's been taken over by AI, but that wouldn't explain why Microsoft 365/OneDrive/Sharepoint/Teams, etc. is such a hot mess!

    Seriously scratching my head here.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-06-12T03:33:36+00:00

    I am amazed this "Delete copy of migrated data from Legacy Outlook" dialog is so poorly explained. My question concerning this is Outlook moving data from my personal email account server over to Microsoft servers leaving me unable to access my personal emails except through Microsoft? Also, is this migration storing a copy of all my messages on Microsoft servers? The dialog sure makes me think this may be the case.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-01-25T07:00:22+00:00

    I have used Outlook from day one, starting with Outlook Express. I have invested much time (years), archived many, may emails in many, many folders. Over the years Outlook has become not only a maze of versions that are half baked bloatware or work in progress releases,  Insult to injury: moving Windows Outlook Legacy to my MAC desktop was a nightmare and I’m still living with unresolved issues from that migration.  The idea of switching to another email client is my last choice but not off the table.  Did I mention Tech support or a lack thereof? 

    I would venture to say many of Outlook users don’t need all the bloatware features M$ tries to peddle. I for one vote to see the return of a simpler email client like Outlook Express for home users or users with lesser needs.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-07-31T13:57:46+00:00

    Office 365 in general is a mess of ****. I have to set an automatic copy of all my emails on multiple PCs to save my communications. I use a MAC version of Outlook for much of my daily work and it is the worst software I have ever used. MS has decided to continue to make it worse. The Office 365 programming has slowed my once fast MAC to a real POS. If I did not have close to 30 years of emails saved in Outlook, I would abandon MS for good.

    No one at the helm of MS cares about the users anymore. I have refused to hit the "delete" legacy option because I absolutely don't Trust MS to do anything good for us. I still remember Windows "Millennium" where I lost six months of information that cost me.

    I would recommend no one press the "delete" because there is no one at MS who cares if you keep your own data.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-05-29T20:13:37+00:00

    That's very bad. Sherry Chen: please respond.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments