I'm getting a message in New Outlook that says ""Delete copy of migrated data from Legacy Outlook to free up space."

Anonymous
2024-05-07T11:48:36+00:00

It also says, "Migrated data is available in New Outlook and can be accessed in On My Computer".

Is this a legitimate Outlook message?

Outlook | MacOS | Legacy Outlook for Mac | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-09-16T18:07:00+00:00

    Well... here we are in mid September and the original "Microsoft Agent | Moderator" has not replied to a single question after her initial (ambiguous) post. Many pertinent questions have been posted and everyone is still in the dark. Today, my CEO sent me a screenshot of this prompt and is asking me what she should do. As an MCSE I feel abused, Microsoft has dropped the ball for professionals again. We are not consumers, we are a corporate business and need effective guidance, And yes, real businesses do have Mac products in the mix.

    HEY MICROSOFT: What should I tell my CEO??

    1. Go ahead and delete your old data and hope you lose nothing.
    2. No, don't delete, just ignore that annoying prompt every day for the rest of your Outlook life.
    3. Ask someone else, your Sr. IT Manager doesn't have a clue.

    I use Outlook on Windows and tried switching to the "New Outlook" recently and immediately switched back to legacy. Honestly, I don't know how MS can punitively impact their business customers so regularly and remain popular.

    Any updates from the community- the people who are directly impacted by these bad decisions?

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-06-13T02:47:36+00:00

    Dear Sherry,

    Firstly to confirm your claim "When you migrate data from Legacy Outlook to New Outlook, a copy of the data is stored on your computer" please advise where is the copy of the data stored, please?

    Secondly, currently there is nothing in the "On My Computer" New Outlook folders, is there supposed to be something there before I delete the migrated data files? If so why isn't it there already?

    Also, I don't understand how deleting some data from one place and moving it to another place (note my comment above there is currently nothing in the On My Computer files) can free up computer space, please explain that.

    Lastly, what if my computer has plenty of space and I don't need to free any of it up, how can I turn off this notification that is exceedingly annoying?

    Lastly the functionality of Outlook for iOS is very poor, searching is almost non-existent, I find it easier to use Mail on my iPhone to find an old message rather than use Outlook.

    I think it would be better if you improved the performance and functionality of the New Outlook rather than worry about space on my computer.

    Thank you,

    Martin

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-05-23T13:35:31+00:00

    Give us back Legacy Outlook!

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-05-08T15:27:28+00:00

    Based on Sherry's input yesterday, I pulled the trigger on the "Delete old Outlook data" message, and now I don't see a thing in any of the folders in the "On My Computer" section of Outlook, contrary to what the Microsoft message promised...

    LK,

    I sympathize. In my case, I did not even click delete - instead I cancelled the message and ignored it. Yet, I don't see anything in my "On My Computer" folder.

    One thing that is partially working so far: in each of the "regular" New Outlook folders, I am right clicking and selecting sync, which seems to be loading more messages. For especially big folders (one of mine has 30K plus messages) it is displaying about a 1000 at first, but then I have to keep going to the last one and click "load more conversations". It is not automatic. A bit frustrating for sure.

    PK

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-05-07T13:30:28+00:00

    Thanks Sherry! These days you can't be too careful around messages like this, especially when Microsoft creates it in a format that you've never seen before...

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments