Using New Outlook on Windows for personal email, calendar, and contact management
With the latest version, I don't have that option now. I only have Save to OneDrive or Download.
Thanks,
Marty
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
When I switched from the old Outlook to the new Outlook, I no longer have the ability to preview voicemails sent as wav files. Instead, I am prompted to save to OneDrive or download the file.
Using New Outlook on Windows for personal email, calendar, and contact management
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
With the latest version, I don't have that option now. I only have Save to OneDrive or Download.
Thanks,
Marty
HUZZAH, PEOPLE! I now see the option "Open" in the dropdown menu for WAV attachments! See the following snippet!
About a month ago, I switched back to the "Classic" Outlook version because I was so fed up with the "New" Outlook version. Last week I switched back to the "New" version because of email formatting issues and to see if anything changed in the "New" version. It took a few days, but I just noticed today that in the little dropdown menu next to the attachment now shows "Open" for WAV attachments. I plan to experiment and see how many file types can be directly opened this way, but this is HUGE. It doesn't fix everything wrong about the "New" Outlook, but this is a massive step forward.
For me, this thread is completely resolved. Windows 11 23H2 Build 22631.4460, Microsoft 365 Standard installed, including Outlook "New" version 1.2024.1107.100.
The latest generation Microsoft Rich Media Player simply does not have a preview feature. If you go into Outlook > settings > Trust Center > Trust Center Settings > Attachment Handling > Attachment and Document Previews, you will see that Microsoft Rich Media Player is not there. The preview feature for WAV files does not work in Outlook because there is no preview app available to use!
The only solution is ot add Legacy Media Player which has a preview option. This has been documented in this thread before:
Unfortunately this causes a serious problem if you have OneDrive folders synced to your computer. When you try to rename a folder OneDrive tries to to sync the filename to the cloud every time you enter a character (not at the end of the name when you finish). As soon as you type 2 or 3 characters at normal speed the sync gets confused and the folder name starts blinking and goes crazy. This is a well known issue in other Microsoft forums.
This OneDrive issue only happens if LMP is installed. Removing legacy media player eliminates the OneDrive problem. I have no idea how LMP is connected to this issue but I've repeated the theory several times and it works. Remove LMP and the OneDrive folder rename problem stops. Install it and the folder problem returns.
For both Outlook preview and OneDrive to work correctly Microsoft will have to fix LMP (unlikely its an old program) or add a preview feature to Rich Media Player. Or maybe someone knows of an alternative media player that works with preview?