Using New Outlook on Windows for personal email, calendar, and contact management
There is no option to preview the file on windows either...
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
When I switched from the old Outlook to the new Outlook, I no longer have the ability to preview voicemails sent as wav files. Instead, I am prompted to save to OneDrive or download the file.
Using New Outlook on Windows for personal email, calendar, and contact management
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
There is no option to preview the file on windows either...
This has been a pretty debilitating issue for months now. I'm a little disappointed it hasn't gotten resolved in some way.
I hope Microsoft is listening. Nobody at my organization is using the new Outlook, which has some really great enhancements, due to not being able to listen to voicemails through Outlook. That on problem alone is enough to stick with the older version.
Hi everyone. I'm a regular user like everyone else (well not entirely regular, I'm the IT Manager - one man band - here at my employer). I'm in the SAME boat as everyone else. We have a Mitel (used to be ShoreTel) phone system, and users can elect to receive voicemails as emails with WAV files attached. When I click on the WAV file attached for such a voicemail email, the New Outlook opens a Save As dialog window for me to save the file. If I click the little down arrow (upside down caret character) on the attachment, my options are "Save to OneDrive", "Copy", and "Save As". The default behavior for me seems to be "Save As".
The file handler for WAV files actually worked here and there since they debuted this New Outlook version, but it hasn't for the last couple of months, and it's super discouraging. I found a workaround, however, and I want to know if it works for anyone else.
Next chance you get, open the email in it's own window, and THEN single-click the attachment. Do you see a small "Downloads" box open on the main Outlook window, in the upper right-hand corner, just under the titlebar? I do, and it looks JUST like the one in Microsoft Edge when you download something. There, I see the attachment listed from the email open in it's own window. Under the name of the attachment is a blue "Open File" link; when you click the attachment name/the blue link, the file will open in the default viewer. This works, but unfortunately the separate email window remains open and is a pain to remember to close.
The behavior I just described works just fine for me, but I STRONGLY wish it happened in the preview pane; in other words, I wish I didn't have to first open the email in it's own window. But anway, that's my work around. Does it work that way for you? Please let me know!
I found a solution for this today, worked for me when I tested it and my end user who requested a fix.
I went to default app settings and changed the default for .wav to the legacy Windows media player. It was the newer version of media player before I changed it. After closing and reopening Outlook it worked.