How do I preview a wav file in the new outlook without having to download the file?

Anonymous
2024-01-19T13:42:02+00:00

When I switched from the old Outlook to the new Outlook, I no longer have the ability to preview voicemails sent as wav files. Instead, I am prompted to save to OneDrive or download the file.

Outlook | Windows | New Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-05-14T20:13:11+00:00

    I changed it to Windows Media Player, but when I click on the .wav file in Outlook, it still wants to download it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-05-14T20:33:23+00:00

    Sorry, I should have also asked what version of Outlook you are using.

    If you click the down arrow on the attachment do you see the preview option and what happens if you chose the option?

    I get this message first:

    After clicking preview file:

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-05-14T20:41:55+00:00

    Save to OneDrive

    Download

    Those are the only two options listed.

    Using "New Outlook"

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-05-16T11:04:09+00:00

    here the same problem, no wave file preview

    the script and default settings doesnt change anything to solve the Problem

    Microsoft Outlook-Version 1.2024.508.600 (Production). Clientversion  20240503010.51 .

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-05-16T15:44:05+00:00

    NOTE: I am a Microsoft customer and not an employee, as a courtesy I relayed how I personally resolved this issue; I will likely stop providing extended support for this post.

    Note 2: If you are part of an organization they may have disabled this functionality.

    NOTE 3: If you are seeing only seeing the Download and Save to OneDrive options then you have likely enabled this Toggle:
    Image

    Which will move you from the installed Desktop Application to a new installed Universal Application that is internet based.
    When you "Try the new Outlook" you are agreeing to access your e-mail from Outlook.com via an app installed on your computer. IMPORTANT: This web-based access does not (currently) have the ability to preview files.

    Being able to preview files requires the steps from my first post as well as enabling the Windows Media Player preview feature in Outlook.

    That process would look something like this:

    1. Open Outlook
    2. Click File
    3. Click Options
    4. Click Trust Center
    5. Click Attachment Handling
    6. Uncheck Turn off Attachment Preview
    7. Click the Attachment and Document Previewers button
    8. Check the box next to (at least) the Windows Media Player Rich Preview Handler
    9. Click OK (File Previewing Options)
    10. Click OK (Trust Center)
    11. Click OK (Outlook Options)
    12. Close & reopen Outlook

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments