How do I preview a wav file in the new outlook without having to download the file?

Anonymous
2024-01-19T13:42:02+00:00

When I switched from the old Outlook to the new Outlook, I no longer have the ability to preview voicemails sent as wav files. Instead, I am prompted to save to OneDrive or download the file.

Outlook | Windows | New Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-01-28T15:22:29+00:00

    You are still wrong... I have the same issue. It is not iOS or MacOS. It is Windows.

    While using a PC, Windows 11, the "new" Outlook.

    I used to be able to listen to a .wav file in outlook. Now i am forced to download it instead of just being able to listen to it in outlook.

    Was this answer helpful?

    30+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-02-15T20:46:27+00:00

    I did some testing. On Outlook (new) we're able to preview .mp3 files just fine. I then took that exact same file, converted into a .wav file and now I cannot preview it. I took screenshots of both. I also went into the default app settings on my Windows 11 machine and both apps are set to Windows Media Player. Is there anyway to add the preview option based on file type for Outlook (new)?

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-05-13T14:07:44+00:00

    I was also having this issue and found that the application for .wav had been changed to "Media Player".

    (Note in the screenshot below that .wax files show "Windows Media Player")

    Steps to resolve:

    1. Open Default Apps
    2. Choose: "Choose Default apps by file type"
    3. Scroll down to .wav
    4. Change the .wav application to "Windows Media Player"
    5. Close the Default Apps window
    6. Close Outlook
    7. Relaunched Outlook
    8. Test

    I have regained my ability to preview wav files.

    For the System Administrators out there, you may be able to implement a login script that sets this using the following (untested) command:
    ftype .wav=WMP11.AssocFile.WAV %1

    or the full path:

    ftype .wav="C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe" %1

    ftype documentation: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/windows-commands/ftype

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-01-23T13:20:31+00:00

    Its a windows issue not iOS. It started happening a few weeks ago. This a bad problem for voicemail attachments and is crushing my 3000 users.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-01-29T19:56:40+00:00

    I am also facing this with some of my managed service customers. It's a significant problem - yes, it's in Windows with the new Outlook.

    Was this answer helpful?

    8 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments