Outlook for Mac keeps crashing - what's the fix please?

Anonymous
2023-10-31T08:43:53+00:00

Hi

I am using Outlook (latest version) on a Macbook Air running Monterey (latest version - 12.7.1). 
ie all software is up to date.



Outlook keeps unexpectedly closing/crashing, for no apparent reason.  --

-- Below are two examples of the first part of the kind of error message it gives me, from two Microsoft Error Reports.

 (It is too many characters to be able to paste one errror message in full!). They then go on to list various Threads and Thread States?

Please could someone help? I'm afraid I am not at all technical! Many thanks. 
 :)

Microsoft Error Reporting log version: 2.0

Error Signature:

Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS

ExceptionEnumString: 1

Exception Code: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS (0x0000000000000000)

Date/Time: 2023-10-30 16:24:33 +0000

Application Name: Microsoft Outlook

Application Bundle ID: com.microsoft.Outlook

Application Signature: OPIM

Application Bitness: x64

Application Version: 16.78.2.23102103

Crashed Module Name: HxCore

Crashed Module Version: 16.0.16910.33813

Crashed Module Offset: 0x000000000076beb7

Blame Module Name: HxCore

Blame Module Version: 16.0.16910.33813

UnsymbolicatedChecksum: A1CD7A2C2CC0ABC6AFB4B546C7F38348

Blame Module Offset: 0x000000000076beb7

StackHash: 78c1a9eedb24ad6f_1_bk_oom_phx

Application LCID: 2057

Extra app info: Reg=en Loc=0x0809

Build Type: Release

Crashed thread Stack Pointer: 0x_0000700001d308b0

Crashed thread: 6

Microsoft Error Reporting log version: 2.0

Error Signature:
Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS
ExceptionEnumString: 1
Exception Code: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS (0x0000000000000000)
Date/Time: 2023-10-31 08:55:15 +0000
Application Name: Microsoft Outlook
Application Bundle ID: com.microsoft.Outlook
Application Signature: OPIM
Application Bitness: x64
Application Version: 16.78.2.23102103
Crashed Module Name: HxCore
Crashed Module Version: 16.0.16910.33813
Crashed Module Offset: 0x000000000076beb7
Blame Module Name: HxCore
Blame Module Version: 16.0.16910.33813
UnsymbolicatedChecksum: A1CD7A2C2CC0ABC6AFB4B546C7F38348
Blame Module Offset: 0x000000000076beb7
StackHash: 78c1a9eedb24ad6f_1_bk_oom_phx
Application LCID: 2057
Extra app info: Reg=en Loc=0x0809
Build Type: Release
Crashed thread Stack Pointer: 0x_0000700005dc18b0
Crashed thread: 8

Outlook | MacOS | Legacy Outlook for Mac | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2023-10-31T11:13:17+00:00

Hello AndreaM1971,

Thank you for posting to Microsoft Community.

I understand that you have an issue where the Outlook app for Mac is crashing on startup. My apologies for the inconvenience that this is causing you.

Based on the error description, could you kindly try setting up your account in a new Outlook profile and see if issue persists: For reference: Manage profiles or identities in Outlook for Mac - Microsoft Support (Do not delete the current profile as yet to prevent any data loss).

If the issue persists, you may have to uninstall and re-install the outlook app. Please refer to steps below. (Please backup the outlook folders before moving to trash).

  • In Finder >go to the Applications folder
  • Drag/Move the Microsoft Outlook app to the trash.
  • Restart your Mac.
  • Run this installer to reinstall Microsoft Outlook Install package.

Looking forward to your response.

Sincerely,

Ashraf.

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-01-20T18:58:24+00:00

    I've reinstalled Office and it has fixed the issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-01-17T21:18:50+00:00

    Going back to the old programme worked for me when it opened for long enough to change it.

    I know nothing about IT but maybe try opening in safe mode to change?

    Revert back to an old start up date?

    Why is Microsoft not answering / helping with these queries?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-01-17T07:08:06+00:00

    Same problem for me. Outlook crashes directly at startup with new outlook.

    I have created a new profile and I am able to start outlook but I don't have my personal folders created under my computer. It ssems logical as it is a new profile. I then reverted to legacy outlook and choosed my old profile, I could start outlook in legacy mode but still not see my personal folders. How can I recover them? I tried to select new outlook again with my old profile but outllook crashes again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-01-15T23:59:03+00:00

    I have tried all the recommendations. Recently I deleted several other common mailboxes that I had and now I am only running two. So far it is working and the crash problem has stopped. Day 1.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments