Outlook for Mac keeps crashing - what's the fix please?

Anonymous
2023-10-31T08:43:53+00:00

Hi

I am using Outlook (latest version) on a Macbook Air running Monterey (latest version - 12.7.1). 
ie all software is up to date.



Outlook keeps unexpectedly closing/crashing, for no apparent reason.  --

-- Below are two examples of the first part of the kind of error message it gives me, from two Microsoft Error Reports.

 (It is too many characters to be able to paste one errror message in full!). They then go on to list various Threads and Thread States?

Please could someone help? I'm afraid I am not at all technical! Many thanks. 
 :)

Microsoft Error Reporting log version: 2.0

Error Signature:

Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS

ExceptionEnumString: 1

Exception Code: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS (0x0000000000000000)

Date/Time: 2023-10-30 16:24:33 +0000

Application Name: Microsoft Outlook

Application Bundle ID: com.microsoft.Outlook

Application Signature: OPIM

Application Bitness: x64

Application Version: 16.78.2.23102103

Crashed Module Name: HxCore

Crashed Module Version: 16.0.16910.33813

Crashed Module Offset: 0x000000000076beb7

Blame Module Name: HxCore

Blame Module Version: 16.0.16910.33813

UnsymbolicatedChecksum: A1CD7A2C2CC0ABC6AFB4B546C7F38348

Blame Module Offset: 0x000000000076beb7

StackHash: 78c1a9eedb24ad6f_1_bk_oom_phx

Application LCID: 2057

Extra app info: Reg=en Loc=0x0809

Build Type: Release

Crashed thread Stack Pointer: 0x_0000700001d308b0

Crashed thread: 6

Microsoft Error Reporting log version: 2.0

Error Signature:
Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS
ExceptionEnumString: 1
Exception Code: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS (0x0000000000000000)
Date/Time: 2023-10-31 08:55:15 +0000
Application Name: Microsoft Outlook
Application Bundle ID: com.microsoft.Outlook
Application Signature: OPIM
Application Bitness: x64
Application Version: 16.78.2.23102103
Crashed Module Name: HxCore
Crashed Module Version: 16.0.16910.33813
Crashed Module Offset: 0x000000000076beb7
Blame Module Name: HxCore
Blame Module Version: 16.0.16910.33813
UnsymbolicatedChecksum: A1CD7A2C2CC0ABC6AFB4B546C7F38348
Blame Module Offset: 0x000000000076beb7
StackHash: 78c1a9eedb24ad6f_1_bk_oom_phx
Application LCID: 2057
Extra app info: Reg=en Loc=0x0809
Build Type: Release
Crashed thread Stack Pointer: 0x_0000700005dc18b0
Crashed thread: 8

Outlook | MacOS | Legacy Outlook for Mac | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2023-10-31T11:13:17+00:00

Hello AndreaM1971,

Thank you for posting to Microsoft Community.

I understand that you have an issue where the Outlook app for Mac is crashing on startup. My apologies for the inconvenience that this is causing you.

Based on the error description, could you kindly try setting up your account in a new Outlook profile and see if issue persists: For reference: Manage profiles or identities in Outlook for Mac - Microsoft Support (Do not delete the current profile as yet to prevent any data loss).

If the issue persists, you may have to uninstall and re-install the outlook app. Please refer to steps below. (Please backup the outlook folders before moving to trash).

  • In Finder >go to the Applications folder
  • Drag/Move the Microsoft Outlook app to the trash.
  • Restart your Mac.
  • Run this installer to reinstall Microsoft Outlook Install package.

Looking forward to your response.

Sincerely,

Ashraf.

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-03-25T10:01:04+00:00

    Hello, this is what seems to have resolved the problem for me:

    apple M3

    Sonoma 14.2.1 (23C71)

    1. I deleted the outlook app from the applications folder (kept it as a backup)
    2. downloaded the https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=45492
    • office installer again
    1. installed only outlook
    2. started outlook and it seems to work. All my folders/accounts seem to be there

    Updater shows outllook update available 16.83.1 (not sure if this includes some fix, but don't have time to try it now)

    But "funny" thing is that outlook shows Version 16.83 (24031120)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-03-24T02:11:32+00:00

    I have also experienced this same issue. I deleted the Outook app and reinstalled as you described.

    It has not fixed the problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-03-17T20:30:47+00:00

    I used this approach and it worked; however could not switch back to 'New' Outlook. The toggle switch in the upper right next to the search field was gone.

    I re-entered Terminal to enter defaults write com.microsoft.Outlook EnableNewOutlook -int 0, but changed the -int to 1 and restarted outlook, the toggle re-appeared. When I turned on 'new' outlook using the toggle, Outlook now crashed again within a few seconds of startup. I have three computers running Outlook (desktops at home, work and laptop for travel). My other two have this update pending, I'm going to hold off on updating until this is sorted but it's very frustrating. Please fix.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-03-15T03:26:42+00:00

    Can I join the chorus. I have exactly the same issue. Yet another major issue with this incredibly buggy program. It's almost unusable and yet MS continues to market it without fixes.

    Surely someone cares enough about the customer base to address all the issues with it. Half my life is on Outlook and migrating to another program is not an option.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments