Outlook for Mac keeps crashing - what's the fix please?

Anonymous
2023-10-31T08:43:53+00:00

Hi

I am using Outlook (latest version) on a Macbook Air running Monterey (latest version - 12.7.1). 
ie all software is up to date.



Outlook keeps unexpectedly closing/crashing, for no apparent reason.  --

-- Below are two examples of the first part of the kind of error message it gives me, from two Microsoft Error Reports.

 (It is too many characters to be able to paste one errror message in full!). They then go on to list various Threads and Thread States?

Please could someone help? I'm afraid I am not at all technical! Many thanks. 
 :)

Microsoft Error Reporting log version: 2.0

Error Signature:

Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS

ExceptionEnumString: 1

Exception Code: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS (0x0000000000000000)

Date/Time: 2023-10-30 16:24:33 +0000

Application Name: Microsoft Outlook

Application Bundle ID: com.microsoft.Outlook

Application Signature: OPIM

Application Bitness: x64

Application Version: 16.78.2.23102103

Crashed Module Name: HxCore

Crashed Module Version: 16.0.16910.33813

Crashed Module Offset: 0x000000000076beb7

Blame Module Name: HxCore

Blame Module Version: 16.0.16910.33813

UnsymbolicatedChecksum: A1CD7A2C2CC0ABC6AFB4B546C7F38348

Blame Module Offset: 0x000000000076beb7

StackHash: 78c1a9eedb24ad6f_1_bk_oom_phx

Application LCID: 2057

Extra app info: Reg=en Loc=0x0809

Build Type: Release

Crashed thread Stack Pointer: 0x_0000700001d308b0

Crashed thread: 6

Microsoft Error Reporting log version: 2.0

Error Signature:
Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS
ExceptionEnumString: 1
Exception Code: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS (0x0000000000000000)
Date/Time: 2023-10-31 08:55:15 +0000
Application Name: Microsoft Outlook
Application Bundle ID: com.microsoft.Outlook
Application Signature: OPIM
Application Bitness: x64
Application Version: 16.78.2.23102103
Crashed Module Name: HxCore
Crashed Module Version: 16.0.16910.33813
Crashed Module Offset: 0x000000000076beb7
Blame Module Name: HxCore
Blame Module Version: 16.0.16910.33813
UnsymbolicatedChecksum: A1CD7A2C2CC0ABC6AFB4B546C7F38348
Blame Module Offset: 0x000000000076beb7
StackHash: 78c1a9eedb24ad6f_1_bk_oom_phx
Application LCID: 2057
Extra app info: Reg=en Loc=0x0809
Build Type: Release
Crashed thread Stack Pointer: 0x_0000700005dc18b0
Crashed thread: 8

Outlook | MacOS | Legacy Outlook for Mac | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2023-10-31T11:13:17+00:00

Hello AndreaM1971,

Thank you for posting to Microsoft Community.

I understand that you have an issue where the Outlook app for Mac is crashing on startup. My apologies for the inconvenience that this is causing you.

Based on the error description, could you kindly try setting up your account in a new Outlook profile and see if issue persists: For reference: Manage profiles or identities in Outlook for Mac - Microsoft Support (Do not delete the current profile as yet to prevent any data loss).

If the issue persists, you may have to uninstall and re-install the outlook app. Please refer to steps below. (Please backup the outlook folders before moving to trash).

  • In Finder >go to the Applications folder
  • Drag/Move the Microsoft Outlook app to the trash.
  • Restart your Mac.
  • Run this installer to reinstall Microsoft Outlook Install package.

Looking forward to your response.

Sincerely,

Ashraf.

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-06-07T10:47:09+00:00

    Typical of big bully Microsoft - it is impossible to speak to a real person to resolve this long ongoing issue. None of the helpline telephones do anything except tell you to go online and in all the pages of advice above there is still no solution. I have to "Force Quit" several times a day as Outlook keeps crashing, is visible on the screen but does not work. I have reinstalled the whole 365 package as I was also having problems with Word. The issue with Word was resolved but the Outlook problem persists. I am paying an annual sub for 365 and expect to be able to speak to a real person and not shoved off to deal with online advice which is useless.

    Microsoft's monopoly has bred contempt for its customers.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-03-17T20:30:47+00:00

    I used this approach and it worked; however could not switch back to 'New' Outlook. The toggle switch in the upper right next to the search field was gone.

    I re-entered Terminal to enter defaults write com.microsoft.Outlook EnableNewOutlook -int 0, but changed the -int to 1 and restarted outlook, the toggle re-appeared. When I turned on 'new' outlook using the toggle, Outlook now crashed again within a few seconds of startup. I have three computers running Outlook (desktops at home, work and laptop for travel). My other two have this update pending, I'm going to hold off on updating until this is sorted but it's very frustrating. Please fix.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-02-15T14:47:46+00:00

    I am having the same issue with outlook. Yesterday it was crashing throughout the day so I reinstalled. Now, as soon as I open it, it crashes. Anyone have a fix?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-01-12T23:45:36+00:00

    Hello ,

    I have the same issue with AndreaM1971.

    I tried what you recommended and it did not work. Could you please suggest another option? Thank you!

    Microsoft Error Reporting log version: 2.0

    Error Signature:

    Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS

    ExceptionEnumString: 1

    Exception Code: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS (0x0000000000000010)

    Date/Time: 2024-01-12 23:43:56 +0000

    Application Name: Microsoft Outlook

    Application Bundle ID: com.microsoft.Outlook

    Application Signature: OPIM

    Application Bitness: x64

    Application Version: 16.80.0.23121017

    Crashed Module Name: HxCore

    Crashed Module Version: 16.0.17112.33805

    Crashed Module Offset: 0x00000000003cd13c

    Blame Module Name: HxCore

    Blame Module Version: 16.0.17112.33805

    UnsymbolicatedChecksum: F9F31B801506707B6D53CB8B5A07B6C0

    Blame Module Offset: 0x00000000003cd13c

    StackHash: d163ad80832948ad_1_0x00000000003cd13c_bk_phx_arm

    Application LCID: 1033

    Extra app info: Reg=en Loc=0x0409

    Build Type: Release

    Crashed thread Stack Pointer: 0x_00000001706ae7c0

    Crashed thread: 16

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments