I am trying to find the file tab in Outlook. Please do not refer me to previous answers to this question; they are not helpful.

Anonymous
2024-01-12T14:24:45+00:00

I am trying to find the file tab in Outlook. Please do not refer me to previous answers to this question; they are not helpful.

This is the precise issue: I used to be able to change text format in email using Outlook 365 (bold text, italics etc) It is no longer allowing me to do this and everything is in plain text.

I have found instructions to change back to HTML text, but they all say go to the 'file tab'. I cannot find the file tab.

When I looked at previous questions on this site asking 'where is the file tab in Outlook 365, someone responds: 'There is no file tab on 365'.

If this is the case, how did I lose HTML text in my emails in the first place, and is there really no way to bring it back?

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Diane Poremsky MVP 17,541 Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
2024-08-31T01:29:25+00:00

The File tab is only in classic Outlook desktop software that is installed with Office desktop software, it is not in new Outlook for Windows or in Outlook on the web or Outlook PWA. Settings are available from View tab > View settings in those apps.... but they do not have most of the settings you'll find in classic Outlook.

Where is File tab in Outlook? - Outlook Tips (outlook-tips.net)

Was this answer helpful?

50+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Diane Poremsky MVP 17,541 Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2024-11-27T18:00:57+00:00

    That is new Outlook. Microsoft discontinued Windows Mail and replaced it with new Outlook.

    What do you need to do that is under the File tab?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-11-28T10:50:49+00:00

    Hi, thanks for response. I need to view .pst files sent to me by a third party, which require to be opened through Outlook. My understanding is that in order to do this, I need to open the 'File' tab and then click on Import/Export file in order to access the files.

    If there is another way to deal with the issue, please advise!

    Thankyou.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Diane Poremsky MVP 17,541 Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2024-11-28T13:32:03+00:00

    You will need to use classic Outlook - it iss included in most of the office suites (all except the ones with Student in the suite name). If you don't have office you have two options:

    1. Use the office 365 trial - but make sure you cancel it before it ends.
    2. There are some standalone PST reader utilities. They are not free, but most have free trials. This is the one I have used.

    Pst Viewer Lite|Simple Outlook Email Viewer

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-12-19T10:28:53+00:00

    Hi,

    I am trying to create a template in the new outlook, which does not have a file or a save as tab. How do I create a template please?

    Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments