I am trying to find the file tab in Outlook. Please do not refer me to previous answers to this question; they are not helpful.

Anonymous
2024-01-12T14:24:45+00:00

I am trying to find the file tab in Outlook. Please do not refer me to previous answers to this question; they are not helpful.

This is the precise issue: I used to be able to change text format in email using Outlook 365 (bold text, italics etc) It is no longer allowing me to do this and everything is in plain text.

I have found instructions to change back to HTML text, but they all say go to the 'file tab'. I cannot find the file tab.

When I looked at previous questions on this site asking 'where is the file tab in Outlook 365, someone responds: 'There is no file tab on 365'.

If this is the case, how did I lose HTML text in my emails in the first place, and is there really no way to bring it back?

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Diane Poremsky MVP 17,541 Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
2024-08-31T01:29:25+00:00

The File tab is only in classic Outlook desktop software that is installed with Office desktop software, it is not in new Outlook for Windows or in Outlook on the web or Outlook PWA. Settings are available from View tab > View settings in those apps.... but they do not have most of the settings you'll find in classic Outlook.

Where is File tab in Outlook? - Outlook Tips (outlook-tips.net)

Was this answer helpful?

50+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-05-20T01:14:19+00:00

    I am also looking for "file" tab so that i can remove the pop up blocker on outlook live / mail so that I can actually open invoices, login links, etc sent to me. If there is an easier way to remove the pop up blocker, please advise.

    thank you

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-02-27T13:29:15+00:00

    Hello,

    I've had the same question regarding "File" tab, but with another goal - to set default pasting settings to "keep the original format". I was able to set it in word, but would need to do the same in Outlook - it's very annoying - to keep on adjusting the different fonts and styles in the text of an email from all copy-pasted sources manually. I know there is a button "Switch to plain text", but it switches the whole email into plain text, even my signature, which I am not pasting manually and which has to stay in its own format.

    Could you please advise? This Outlook is not the best product you've created there guys...

    Many thanks!

    Yuliana

    Was this answer helpful?

    9 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-01-12T17:56:35+00:00

    Hello Simon WDP,

    Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community! We are happy to assist.

    I understand your frustration and I do apologize for the inconvenience. Typically, in the Classic Outlook for Windows version, the File tab is located in the top left corner of the screen. However, if you are not seeing it, it seems you are using the New Outlook Style and that makes it a bit confusing.

    Thus, based on your description, you want to be able to control the email font properties in Outlook. Feel free to correct me if I misunderstood.

    Therefor, to change the plain text email compose type to HTML, you may follow these steps to get to the point where you can switch to HTML

    First Change the Ribbon to Classic View --> Click View > Layout> Classic View

    Second, Change from Text to HTML: Create a new Email -->Click Message in the right of the Ribbon, click Switch To HTML

    If your scenario is different from the above, please kindly provide us with the screenshot of the Outlook interface you are using and your Outlook version details? See What version of Outlook do I have? - Microsoft Support

    I look forward to your update. We are happy to provide any further assistance if needed. So do not hesitate to reach out!

    Best regards,

    Microsoft community

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments