I am trying to find the file tab in Outlook. Please do not refer me to previous answers to this question; they are not helpful.

Anonymous
2024-01-12T14:24:45+00:00

I am trying to find the file tab in Outlook. Please do not refer me to previous answers to this question; they are not helpful.

This is the precise issue: I used to be able to change text format in email using Outlook 365 (bold text, italics etc) It is no longer allowing me to do this and everything is in plain text.

I have found instructions to change back to HTML text, but they all say go to the 'file tab'. I cannot find the file tab.

When I looked at previous questions on this site asking 'where is the file tab in Outlook 365, someone responds: 'There is no file tab on 365'.

If this is the case, how did I lose HTML text in my emails in the first place, and is there really no way to bring it back?

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Diane Poremsky MVP 17,541 Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
2024-08-31T01:29:25+00:00

The File tab is only in classic Outlook desktop software that is installed with Office desktop software, it is not in new Outlook for Windows or in Outlook on the web or Outlook PWA. Settings are available from View tab > View settings in those apps.... but they do not have most of the settings you'll find in classic Outlook.

Where is File tab in Outlook? - Outlook Tips (outlook-tips.net)

Was this answer helpful?

50+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2025-03-17T16:42:51+00:00

    I am also trying to edit my signature line in outlook emails and the directions say to go to the File tab which I can't find.

    I found the View tab however can't find how to change the signature line

    Any suggestions?

    Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-03-10T20:54:34+00:00

    Is it possible to see sent emails in the Outlook Android app?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Diane Poremsky MVP 17,541 Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2025-01-31T04:13:25+00:00

    BTW - you can type times in the time pickers - in the form of 10a or 2p - use a dot instead of colon if you need a time outside of the whole hours - 7.14a

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Diane Poremsky MVP 17,541 Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2025-01-30T12:35:06+00:00

    Sorry I wasn't clear - View tab > View settings > Calendar has the options you can change. I don't see default appt length there though. FWIW, Outlook on the web has never had the option and new Outlook is Outlook on the web in an app framework.

    So no, you cannot change the time scale. The best you can do is use a different method to create the appointment, which will use either the selected time slots or the current scale.

    If you have office desktop software, you can use classic Outlook. I have instructions here - https://www.slipstick.com/outlook/classic-outlook-not-new-outlook/ 

    ETA: use Help > Suggestions to make a suggestion for this feature.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments