Outlook office 2016 keeps asking for password for my personal email but not for my company email.

Anonymous
2024-01-17T11:30:24+00:00

Hi I have a problem where my personal email gets a login prompt after opening the outlook (2016 office version 16.0.5426.1000) and useing it for about 5 minutes. Hoewer my work email has no problems on the same app and the same PC. The difference is that my work email is company hosted and my personal is hosted on live.com by microsoft.

Both my accounts use microsoft exchange.

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

54 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-04-04T18:30:56+00:00

    Somehow my problem disapeared since my last post. It's been as it supposed to be for the last two days. I have no clue what solved it but it's nice to be able to use Outlook without this anoying issue

    the password prompt isssue for me with Outlook 2016 is a little better the last couple days too, but still prompted for password upon opening Outlook 2016.

    Instead of entering the password I closed Outlook and reopened. Upon reopening it did not prompt for the password.

    When the in bottom right corner of Outlook it shows..

    "Trying to connect..."

    "Connected to: Microsoft Exchange"

    "Need Password"

    when I click the "Need Password" text it has been connecting the last couple days without having to actually re-enter the pasword.

    Since nothing has changed on my computers with updates it must be something on Microsoft's server side that they are tinkering with I would think.

    So to recap, It is a little better for me, but not perfect like it use to be. This issue started for me around mid January 2024.

    Hopefully Microsoft continues to work the kinks out of the pasword prompting issue. Seems like a public statement would be a better thing for them to make instead of being silent. I've seen no recent official articles from Microsoft regarding this password prompt issue with Outlook desktop application and they leave the customer dangling with no written answers for 2 going on 3 months.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-04-04T09:59:23+00:00

    Somehow my problem disapeared since my last post. It's been as it supposed to be for the last two days. I have no clue what solved it but it's nice to be able to use Outlook without this anoying issue

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-04-02T11:39:05+00:00

    So is your password problem fixed? I realize it might take hours for the new password to take effect. But is your problem resolved once and for all?

    No, it's not! Not at all.

    This is a daily(!) routine form me. I tested all the scenario's I could find since this is going on for a year now. This time it took 1,5 hour to accept the app passoword, which is fast. So I thougt...15 minutes later the password popup poped up again. The funny thing is that outlook is working as should. Except for the popup.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-04-02T11:28:39+00:00

    So is your password problem fixed? I realize it might take hours for the new password to take effect. But is your problem resolved once and for all?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-04-02T08:51:16+00:00
    • Edit- Today it only took 1,5 hour(insteqad of 5) to get the app password to be accepted.

    Following! I have exactly the same issues. App password everyday but it takes about 5 hours from resetting the app password until Outlook 2016 accepts it. Hotmail account in my case. I do not wan't to turn off 2fa and the free apps are not comparable to then full Outlook version for me.

    I tried all of the tricks I could find and nothing makes one difference. 0 or 1 values, just the same thing everyday. No difference. And I probably tried a lot more more. My issue started about a year ago but it was once in a while at first. Now it's everyday. Also, It was able to accept a new app password at once. Now it takes many hours to do so. But it will eventualy...

    Some of the steps i took:

    • Reinstalled office 2016
    • Credential manager in Control Panel
    • New OST
    • SaRa
    • Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00:

     [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Common\Identity]

    "EnableADAL"=dword:00000001

    "Version"=dword:00000001

    "DisableADALatopWAMOverride"=dword:0000001

    "DisableADALForExtendedApps"=dword:0000001

    "DisableADALSetSilentAuth"=dword:0000001

    "Mso99lUpdatedForADALExtendedApps"=dword:0000001

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Exchange]

    "AlwaysUseMSOAuthForAutoDiscover"=dword:00000001

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook\AutoDiscover]

    "ExcludeExplicitO365Endpoint"=dword:00000001

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments