Outlook office 2016 keeps asking for password for my personal email but not for my company email.

Anonymous
2024-01-17T11:30:24+00:00

Hi I have a problem where my personal email gets a login prompt after opening the outlook (2016 office version 16.0.5426.1000) and useing it for about 5 minutes. Hoewer my work email has no problems on the same app and the same PC. The difference is that my work email is company hosted and my personal is hosted on live.com by microsoft.

Both my accounts use microsoft exchange.

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

54 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-04-17T08:41:25+00:00

    It's been 3 months of headaches and the password issue is still not resolved for my installs either. I've had to copy and paste the App password from a text file for I cannot memorize the App Password and Outlook still prompts for password two (2) times when opening and then shortly later prompts for the password again. the 3rd prompt for password I've been able to close the dialog window and then click the bottom text in Outlook that says ""Need Password", it usually connects after clicking the "Need Password" but minutes later prompts for password all over again. sometimes it works by clicking the "Need Password" but sometimes it does not and I have to use the Copy-Paste from text .txt file method. The need for the text .txt file causes a security risk.

    The Microsoft Support on Twitter keeps telling me to go to Microsoft's support website and open a ticket. I've told them it's not an isolated issue and opening a ticket one user at a time is not the answer.

    Quite frankly I don't have the energy to want to deal with Microsoft's idiot technical support people who give you a different answer every time based off scripts they are reading from.

    The sad thing is I've not found any articles of Microsoft acknowledging the password issue since their last post I saw at the end of January 2024 where they claimed to have resolved the issue.

    has anyone else found any newer articles from Microsoft related to this password issue?

    Interesting articles?

    https://www.zdnet.com/home-and-office/work-life/office-2016-and-2019-users-wont-be-cut-off-from-microsoft-365-back-end-services-next-year/

    https://www.pcworld.com/article/2306701/microsoft-is-discontinuing-support-for-office-2016-and-2019-what-users-can-do.html

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-04-17T08:07:56+00:00

    The situation is still not any better. I get two versions of admin security pages when changing my app-password, these two version are random everyday. Also it's not possible top retrieve an app password, only to generate a new one

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-04-12T20:27:33+00:00

    The weird thing is Google GMail works just fine in my Outlook 2016, it is ONLY accounts with various Microsoft email accounts that cause my issues.

    Makes me want to switch my life from the Hotmail account i've had for 2 decades to GMail for everything but I have allot of things linked to my Hotmail email like doctors, banks, 2nd factor 2FA Verifications, Etc.

    It would be a pain in the butt to switch everything and then there's that one thing I forget about that causes an issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-04-07T05:31:00+00:00

    Chalk up another user with exactly the same problem. I feel your pain. Started happening for me at same time as you. All the symptoms and attempts to fix are identical for me. I too have moments where I think it might be resolved only to reappear. I thought I had it licked when I started Outlook in safe mode and removed all add-ins. Worked for a while, then came back. Very frustrating indeed. I almost feel as if this started when I mistakenly told Outlook to automatically enable updates. I could be wrong, but that seemed to be the trigger.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-04-05T16:41:24+00:00

    And it went wrong again. Still, two days without issues is some kind of record!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments