Drag and Drop in new Outlook

Anonymous
2023-05-05T13:24:13+00:00

Hi,

We are currently Testing the new Outlook and i got some Questions about drag and drop of Mails to desktop as of now, its not possible.

The way we do it now is klick on the 3 dots and download the message.

The Download popup shows up from where we can drag and drop the msg into the Explorer or Desktop.

Is this going to stay?

if yes, what is the best Practice process to save Mails quickly from Outlook into Teams/Sharepoint filestructure?

Outlook | Windows | New Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-07-16T09:59:49+00:00

    Finally Drag & Drop from new Outlook is available LOL
    I'm facing now the issue, that my vb.net app cannot handle the dragged information anymore. The dropped data type has changed.

    With the old outlook I can access the dropped mail information

    Dim IOStream As Stream = CType(e.Data.GetData("FileGroupDescriptor"), Stream)
    Dim fileGroupDescriptor = New Byte(511) {}
    IOStream.Read(fileGroupDescriptor, 0, 512) <<< Here I get a System.NullReferenceException because "IOStream" was "Nothing".
    

    Does anybody have clue how to handle the new format?

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-03-11T09:47:18+00:00

    After toggling back to the old outlook and submitting a "Why I'm switching back" report, I got this popup.

    At least MS are aware and are looking into a fix.

    Drag and drop email or attachments

    Thank you for using the new Outlook for Windows. Dragging and dropping messages, files, and attachments between the new Outlook and other locations (desktop, e.g.) is a feature that is currently unavailable. It will be coming out in an upcoming release.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-02-02T02:51:12+00:00

    I appreciate the reply, but none of these options is preferable to dragging and dropping in old Outlook. Yes, moving emails to folders outside Outlook can be automated, but can you tell that the files you see in the destination folder are new/unread or even know that they are there if you don't check the folder regularly? Faster isn't better if it means that I miss an important email.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-05-23T16:45:31+00:00

    It's been a year and this still hasn't been added and now the old version is running so slow that it's almost unusable. Very disappointing to see.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-05-13T08:41:36+00:00

    I agree, the ability to drag files from within an e-mail and drop them to a server location is essential.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments