I am having trouble reorganizing my folders in the NEW Outlook Preview for Windows

Anonymous
2023-05-10T12:16:56+00:00

I have switched to using the NEW Outlook for Windows. Everything was fine until I tried to reorganize my folders. I want to put them in specific order but when I try to move them I cannot move main folders to a new main position. It will only let me put them into another main folder. I have an order with main folders, sub folders, and sub sub folders, etc. When I switched to the NEW Outlook it alphabetized my folders which put them out of my order. I went to drag them into their proper place but it will only let me put them into other main folders. I cannot seem to figure out how to put main folders in between other main folders. It used to show a little gray box when I was about to insert a folder into another folder and a line when I was going to drag it in between other folders. Now it is only the little box that makes it go into the other folder.

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-04-03T16:32:41+00:00

    I hate to say it, but I started arranging folders using A, AA, AAA, #, $ to put them where I wanted them as I also used the feature to move folders in the previous Outlook.

    Jules

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-04-17T12:49:51+00:00

    I switched to the NEW Outlook not even 10 minutes ago. Organizing folders was the FIRST thing I tried to do. I had the exact same issue as the initial post describes. What a ridiculous change! I NEED to be able to organize my folders in an order that works for me. Switching back to the old Outlook right now.

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-05-01T07:58:47+00:00

    De Paul,

    As you can see from the multiple comments on this thread, this is still an issue.

    If we as professionals can not use 'New Outlook' in an efficient manor then we wont be using it.

    its been a year since your original reply and it seems nothing has happed to resolve the problem.

    do you have any update on if this problem will be fixed?

    Was this answer helpful?

    9 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-05-07T07:54:22+00:00

    Unreal.... just started using the new look yesterday and now I have to switch back because of this nonsense, which is a basic feature in most software since what.... the 90's?!

    It's been less than 48 hours since I switch from Gmail and I already miss it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-05-16T21:00:33+00:00

    Y'all- Nearly a year after this question was posed, I seem to have *SORT OF* figured out a work around for this.

    Now, by no means is it perfect, and I guarantee it may cause some havoc for some, as the clarity of which sub-folder you're dropping into isn't the best, BUT:

    What I've figured out is that if you CTRL+ Left Click on the folder you WANT to move (let's call this one "Receipts") you can then easily drag it into any of your other folders - be they primary folders (Inbox, CEO Office, CFO Office, IT, Etc) or sub folders (in this example, moving "Receipts" into the subfolder "Invoices", which might be a subfolder of "Finance").

    It's not always foolproof though- What I'm finding is that sometimes in moving one subfolder into another more primary (or main) folder, others accidentally become sub-folders. This forces me to temporarily move them out, then back in- so a little time consuming, but this is the best thing I've found that works thus far.

    I should note too, that there is a "move" option when you click the three dots next to each folder (under the same function as if you were to rename the folder)- but I haven't found that to be useful or functional at all.

    Hope this helps someone. Hope this makes sense!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments