I am having trouble reorganizing my folders in the NEW Outlook Preview for Windows

Anonymous
2023-05-10T12:16:56+00:00

I have switched to using the NEW Outlook for Windows. Everything was fine until I tried to reorganize my folders. I want to put them in specific order but when I try to move them I cannot move main folders to a new main position. It will only let me put them into another main folder. I have an order with main folders, sub folders, and sub sub folders, etc. When I switched to the NEW Outlook it alphabetized my folders which put them out of my order. I went to drag them into their proper place but it will only let me put them into other main folders. I cannot seem to figure out how to put main folders in between other main folders. It used to show a little gray box when I was about to insert a folder into another folder and a line when I was going to drag it in between other folders. Now it is only the little box that makes it go into the other folder.

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-01-22T14:10:52+00:00

    Any update on when this will be implemented in New outlook.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-12-08T17:56:53+00:00

    Its been 6 months since the first question was posted on this string about moving folders non-alphabetically...has anything been updated?

    I just moved over to the new Outlook and it appears to still be an issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-10-05T17:01:26+00:00

    Yes, please allow the flexibility to organize the folders non-alphabetically. In addition, when you add a folder to Favorites, allow the capability to bring the sub-folders along with it. Thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    30+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-08-24T19:35:39+00:00

    Just tired this as of 8/24/23, you can move folders into other folders as sub folders, but you cannot click and drag to reorder. The two workarounds I discovered were that renaming a folder will force that folder to display alphabetically, so putting numbers before folder names will reorder them, and dragging a folder into a different folder and then back into the original folder will drop it at the top of the list.

    I'm glad that Microsoft is refreshing Outlook, especially the part where the current Outlook requires cached exchange mode to view O635 groups, but something as simple as folder management missing is a joke.

    Was this answer helpful?

    30+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-06-30T00:18:45+00:00

    I for one would terminate use of outlook on this basis alone. Folder management is crucial to the way I do business and refuse to function without such a basic tool. But the beauty of capitalism is if you take it away, and enough people want it, it will be released in some other companies app and I will use that one. Or be forced to seek alternate mail software now. Either way, I will get what I need.

    Was this answer helpful?

    50+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments