I am having trouble reorganizing my folders in the NEW Outlook Preview for Windows

Anonymous
2023-05-10T12:16:56+00:00

I have switched to using the NEW Outlook for Windows. Everything was fine until I tried to reorganize my folders. I want to put them in specific order but when I try to move them I cannot move main folders to a new main position. It will only let me put them into another main folder. I have an order with main folders, sub folders, and sub sub folders, etc. When I switched to the NEW Outlook it alphabetized my folders which put them out of my order. I went to drag them into their proper place but it will only let me put them into other main folders. I cannot seem to figure out how to put main folders in between other main folders. It used to show a little gray box when I was about to insert a folder into another folder and a line when I was going to drag it in between other folders. Now it is only the little box that makes it go into the other folder.

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-06-29T23:36:22+00:00

    I stopped using the New Outlook Preview for this issue. I just switched today and immediately realized this issue, googled, found this and your reply has turned me back to the old version. This is a primary function of folder management and you will have major issues with all users if you continue to promote this preview strongly and if you roll out the new version without the ability to organize our primary folders however we see best fit for our needs. I don't need Microsoft telling me how to organize my folders. It's sad because I really like the visual aspects and options of the New version but this is a hard pass for me not being able to get to and organize my work like I have for the last 12 years I've used outlook at my employer and built a system that works best for me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    100+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-05-10T15:59:43+00:00

    Dear diesel 86,

    Good day! Thank you for posting to Microsoft Community. We are happy to help you.

    Based on your description, I understand that you have a query "having trouble reorganizing folders in the NEW Outlook Preview for Windows".

    After thorough research and consulting, it has been determined that there is currently no function in New Outlook Preview to move folder to different place, you explanations are very clear, when trying to move a folder you don't get a line where you can drop off the folder, it just showing the grayed highlight box which shows cleary that the folder is going to be ended up inside other folder.

    As the New Outlook is currently in Preview, and the platform/foundation of the application itself is still under development. Luckily, at this stage of development, installing updates and restarting the client is a fast process. Alternately, you can revert back to "Classic" Outlook by disabling New Outlook toggle or close outlook and open outlook by using outlook.exe instead of olk.exe.

    Moreover, thank you for bringing this to our attention. I believe your suggestion could make New Outlook even better. We'll bring your issues to our Product Development Team as New Outlook for Windows is still under development. We suggest posting your complaint as an idea to our Outlook in-app feedback by going to Help > Feedback. Refer to Contact support and provide feedback within the new Outlook for Windows - Microsoft Support

    Note the Feedback will not be available if you disable the Optional connected experience. To enable Feedback, go to Settings > View all Outlook settings > General > Privacy and data > Privacy settings and turn on the Optional connected experience.

    Our Product Development Team are committed to enhancing the customer experience by continually examining suggestions to include in the design and development of future product upgrades based on your suggestions. Hopefully, your suggestion will help many users in the future. I will update here if I get any useful update on this feature. Thank you for your understanding and support.

    For other concerns, please do not hesitate to add you post in the Microsoft Community Team.

    Sincerely,

    De Paul | Microsoft Community Moderator

    Was this answer helpful?

    30+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments