I am having trouble reorganizing my folders in the NEW Outlook Preview for Windows

Anonymous
2023-05-10T12:16:56+00:00

I have switched to using the NEW Outlook for Windows. Everything was fine until I tried to reorganize my folders. I want to put them in specific order but when I try to move them I cannot move main folders to a new main position. It will only let me put them into another main folder. I have an order with main folders, sub folders, and sub sub folders, etc. When I switched to the NEW Outlook it alphabetized my folders which put them out of my order. I went to drag them into their proper place but it will only let me put them into other main folders. I cannot seem to figure out how to put main folders in between other main folders. It used to show a little gray box when I was about to insert a folder into another folder and a line when I was going to drag it in between other folders. Now it is only the little box that makes it go into the other folder.

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2025-01-21T19:04:12+00:00

    Microsoft has completely dropped the ball on this. Whatever they have done to Outlook now means that it's impossible to alphabetise folders in outlook and they have known about this for probably two years and done nothing. If you add a new folder and try to alphabetise it, it simply becomes a sub-folder of the one above. Microsoft is showing utter disrespect for their customers by not fixing this problem that they have created. We pay enough for Windows 365 and we are simply not getting a service. Microsoft fix the problem now!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-01-21T14:47:12+00:00

    Hi Stone. J,

    Thank you for trying to help!

    However, we don't want to keep adding folders to Favourites just to sort. Favourites is for you to choose which folders you want to have quick access.

    We are talking about sorting the folders that are NOT in Favourites.

    We simply want to be able to sort all our folders the way we want. Just the way it has been for the past 25 years or more, until this new Outlook was introduced. We aren't asking for any new feature, we are asking to have an exisiting feature back.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-01-21T14:31:02+00:00

    If you go to Favourites folder at the top, you can right-click and select 'Add to Favourites', then type in the folder you want at the top

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-05-16T21:00:33+00:00

    Y'all- Nearly a year after this question was posed, I seem to have *SORT OF* figured out a work around for this.

    Now, by no means is it perfect, and I guarantee it may cause some havoc for some, as the clarity of which sub-folder you're dropping into isn't the best, BUT:

    What I've figured out is that if you CTRL+ Left Click on the folder you WANT to move (let's call this one "Receipts") you can then easily drag it into any of your other folders - be they primary folders (Inbox, CEO Office, CFO Office, IT, Etc) or sub folders (in this example, moving "Receipts" into the subfolder "Invoices", which might be a subfolder of "Finance").

    It's not always foolproof though- What I'm finding is that sometimes in moving one subfolder into another more primary (or main) folder, others accidentally become sub-folders. This forces me to temporarily move them out, then back in- so a little time consuming, but this is the best thing I've found that works thus far.

    I should note too, that there is a "move" option when you click the three dots next to each folder (under the same function as if you were to rename the folder)- but I haven't found that to be useful or functional at all.

    Hope this helps someone. Hope this makes sense!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-04-03T16:32:41+00:00

    I hate to say it, but I started arranging folders using A, AA, AAA, #, $ to put them where I wanted them as I also used the feature to move folders in the previous Outlook.

    Jules

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments