Outlook Disconnecting, won't reconnect until rebooted

Anonymous
2022-07-21T10:07:28+00:00

Starting a few months ago some of our users are reporting that Outlook and Teams disconnect multiple times throughout the day. The only way to fix it is to reboot the machine. They are using Outook for 365 and connecting to a mailbox in Exchange Online. It started with 2 users but more have reported the issue recently.

During the time Outlook & Teams disconnect they do not loose network or internet connection and can open Outlook and Teams on the web.

So far I have tried:

  • Recreating mail profile
  • Disabling cached exchange mode
  • Wiping and re-installing Windows 10 & Office 365

I have listed below the version of Outlook and Window 10 they are using.

Microsoft® Outlook® for Microsoft 365 MSO (Version 2205 Build 16.0.15225.20348) 64-bit

Windows 10

OS build: 19044.1766

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2022-09-20T14:24:05+00:00

Have any of you tried uninstalling Dell Optimizer? Apparently that has worked for some folks in the very recent past. It has not worked for my issue, but ours may be a bad network (our only users having the issue are in one small office). Something to do with it installing ExpressConnect

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-05-02T15:09:12+00:00

    I've not had an issue for a little while now. Sods law says that now I am writing this it will happen again.

    All of ours are Windows 10, Office 2016 and are all custom builds.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-05-02T17:54:38+00:00

    Are you using Office desktop or 365 subscription? I have received suggestions that we should move to 365 Exchange through Microsoft instead of Exchange Online through GoDaddy and swap out Office desktop for a 365 subscription to resolve our issue. But that is a big migration with downtime and I don't want to do it if it won't fix anything. I guess the idea is that then I would at least get support from Microsoft. But will it be any good? Do you have any ideas?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-05-02T17:55:18+00:00

    Can you share what you did to make it stop happening?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-05-02T21:29:49+00:00

    In this other forum thread users said uninstalling Express Connect helped mitigate the issue:

    Forum: How to fix outlook stuck on 'Trying to connect' - Microsoft Community
    Dell support: Solved: ExpressConnect/Outlook Issue - Dell Community

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments