How do I block random people adding meetings to my calendar?

Anonymous
2023-05-22T13:11:46+00:00

I have searched for an answer and I haven't found anything helpful.

If someone sends me a meeting invite in email that meeting is automatically added to my calendar. Then Slack reacts to this new meeting and sends me a notification. I just noticed this because someone used this to send me spam. How is it even possible that a random person can add meetings to my calendar AND how is it possible I can't find a setting to stop this?

I did find a setting to turn off automatic car rental etc. messages. I figured out I could block people one by one. But I want to stop this from ever happening again.

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-01-05T20:15:45+00:00

    It's now January 2024, and no fix...

    Why cant microsoft tell that outside calendar events created by emails like "@p89p3itz.hcj" or "@etaeo1xr.mpf" are spam or phishing??? And the main question STILL, why is ANY outside entity able to add events to MY calendar without MY permission???

    Wondering if a class action lawsuit would prompt microsoft to correct the issue

    CAN-SPAM Act of 2003, 15 U.S.C. 7701-7713, Public Law108-187, 117 Stat. 2719

    Was this answer helpful?

    8 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-01-05T20:45:34+00:00

    Agreed, this is really frustrating, I am getting spam email and now it adds a date to my calendar which alerts me. i have found that if they come through, I report spam and choose BLOCK SENDER, it takes it off my calendar but I have to catch them first.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-01-08T14:24:16+00:00

    We're having a similar issue. The Teams/Skype spam abuse is killing out productivity. We use an PSA utility with Calendar and if there is a conflict, the original appointment is sent back for rescheduling. This is intolerable. There has to be an Admin Rule that we can put in that blocks all of this.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-01-08T18:27:41+00:00

    It's now January 2024, and no fix...

    Why cant microsoft tell that outside calendar events created by emails like "*** Email address is removed for privacy ***" or "*** Email address is removed for privacy ***" are spam or phishing??? And the main question STILL, why is ANY outside entity able to add events to MY calendar without MY permission???

    Wondering if a class action lawsuit would prompt microsoft to correct the issue

    CAN-SPAM Act of 2003, 15 U.S.C. 7701-7713, Public Law108-187, 117 Stat. 2719

    I don't think they care because they don't make any money by caring about this issue. Its really PISSING me off though and I may just see about hiring a lawyer to research the blatant disregard for law and decency that Microsoft is allegedly engaged in. I think a Class Action lawsuit for ALL the revenue that have made from Teams/Skype would wake them up. Basically if they are allowing these fraudulent people to engage our calendars WITHOUT our consent then why do they deserve ONE penny of the revenue from it?

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-01-26T12:48:12+00:00
    1. In Outlook, go to File and then “Options.”
    2. Then, select “Mail” from the Options menu.
    3. In the Mail menu, choose “Tracking.”
    4. Under “Tracking,” deselect the option that says, “Automatically process meeting requests and responses to meeting requests and polls.”

    You're welcome.

    To the Microsoft techs responding to these questions; you should find another job because you absolutely fail at this one. Setting up rules to block emails will NOT keep meeting invites from being added to your calendar if the option above is still checked.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments