How do I block random people adding meetings to my calendar?

Anonymous
2023-05-22T13:11:46+00:00

I have searched for an answer and I haven't found anything helpful.

If someone sends me a meeting invite in email that meeting is automatically added to my calendar. Then Slack reacts to this new meeting and sends me a notification. I just noticed this because someone used this to send me spam. How is it even possible that a random person can add meetings to my calendar AND how is it possible I can't find a setting to stop this?

I did find a setting to turn off automatic car rental etc. messages. I figured out I could block people one by one. But I want to stop this from ever happening again.

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2023-12-28T15:57:00+00:00

    This has obviously been a problem for months. The fact that the problem has not been resolved means to me that Microsoft can’t keep a lid on basic breach of privacy issues. Not a great start to 2024.

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-10-12T19:37:44+00:00

    The problem with this solution is SPAM email often comes from varied addresses, when one is blocked they use another. This needs to be FIXED, I cannot have my email telling me I have meetings all the time. I have blocked senders, reported phishing and even when I delete the email, the invite stays on my calendar.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-01-26T12:48:12+00:00
    1. In Outlook, go to File and then “Options.”
    2. Then, select “Mail” from the Options menu.
    3. In the Mail menu, choose “Tracking.”
    4. Under “Tracking,” deselect the option that says, “Automatically process meeting requests and responses to meeting requests and polls.”

    You're welcome.

    To the Microsoft techs responding to these questions; you should find another job because you absolutely fail at this one. Setting up rules to block emails will NOT keep meeting invites from being added to your calendar if the option above is still checked.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-01-05T20:15:45+00:00

    It's now January 2024, and no fix...

    Why cant microsoft tell that outside calendar events created by emails like "@p89p3itz.hcj" or "@etaeo1xr.mpf" are spam or phishing??? And the main question STILL, why is ANY outside entity able to add events to MY calendar without MY permission???

    Wondering if a class action lawsuit would prompt microsoft to correct the issue

    CAN-SPAM Act of 2003, 15 U.S.C. 7701-7713, Public Law108-187, 117 Stat. 2719

    Was this answer helpful?

    8 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-10-10T22:31:14+00:00

    Hi Kani,

    Greetings! Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community!

    For your concerned issue, Microsoft is aware of this problem and are working on filtering those spam meeting invitations out.

    There are 2 workarounds for this issue currently:

    1. Create Outlook inbox rule:
    1. Open Outlook.com or outlook.office.com, navigate to Setting
    2. Select View all Outlook settings.
    3. Under Mail, click Rules.
    4. Click Add Rules.
    5. Under Add a condition, select From/Sender address includes and input the spammers' addresses. You may also use a different condition that is more appropriate. Also, you may set exception.
    6. Under Add an action, select Delete.

    If you are using a Microsoft 365 business account, please let your Exchange Admin setup mail flow or EOP rules for spam filtering.

    1. Delete the spam meeting invites series, and ensure that you don't send the spammer a response.

    We apologize that the permanent solution of this issue is still under investigation from Microsoft. You might want to provide feedback to Microsoft Uservoice.

    Appreciated for your understanding and patience!

    This is not a fix. I ended up having to delete your trash calendar.

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments