Reminders for external invites in outlook now.

Anonymous
2022-05-11T09:27:24+00:00

Hi Microsoft team,

I'd like to know if there is a way to set Reminders for external invites in outlook because me and my team are receiving invites from other calendars and we miss the meetings because the reminders are not automatically set after we accept the external invitation.

Thank you in advance

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2023-06-28T08:00:32+00:00

    My Client uses an M365 server with hundreds of employees. they all use outlook 365 for emails.

    I'm a one-man band but my ISP also uses an M365 email server. I'm using Outlook 2019.

    When my client sends an invite to internal colleagues and to me the internal colleagues will have the reminder set as per the email he sends out. When I receive the invite the reminder is set to None. It doesn't seem to make any difference if my client uses the default reminder or sets a different one. I still get no reminder time set.

    So somewhere along the lines the reminder setting is being lost.

    I agree with other commenters that there should be an option to add a reminder time to INCOMING meeting request that do not have a reminder. (or to override the reminder if my chosen reminder time is longer than that in the meeting request)

    I do not agree with commenters that say that the sender should not be able to set a reminder for a meeting. The reminder time setting is there for the meeting organiser to 'nudge' the participants that the meeting is due to start.

    Interestingly when I send a meeting invite to a colleague at my client the reminder time is set to what ever I set it to.

    K

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-05-02T12:45:27+00:00

    The intended purpose of the feature is to set the default reminder for new meetings you're creating and inviting other people to. Which is not how people interpret it, and not how it should be anyways. I shouldn't be able to set reminders for other people, and they shouldn't be able to set them for me.

    Internally it tends not to be too noticeable because most people don't change this setting and it seems to default to 15 minutes, so it just happens to work out most of the time. I had a coworker who for some reason changed this to never, so every time she invited me to a meeting I would be late or miss it.

    And then for some reason, external invites default to never all the time. But even if they fixed that, they really need to completely change the purpose of the feature. It should only be a setting for our own calendars. It shouldn't have anything to do with setting what the reminder should be on other people's calendars. That shouldn't even be an option when setting up meetings.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-09-06T00:45:32+00:00

    Yes, I am having the same issue. The default reminder is not set automatically when the invite is coming from external.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-05-12T15:47:19+00:00

    Hi Pat_Fernandez,

    Thanks for the update. Based on the description, it seems that the issue only happen with external calendar invites from Google.

    Are you using Microsoft 365 Exchange Online account or any 3rd party ISP account?

    In the meantime, you may please try to send test calendar invites via using Microsoft account (e.g. Outlook.com) to see if the problem still occurs. It will help us to determine whether it is specific to Google calendar invite side issue. If you don't have Microsoft account, please create a new one.

    Does this issue recently happen such as after update to latest Office 365 version?

    If so, you may use the workaround revert to earlier workable version if it is acceptable for you. Here is the article which has detailed steps listed: How to revert to an earlier version of Office

    Note: If your organization IT team/Office 365 admin manage Office deployment please contact them for revert to earlier version.

    Regarding this point, we would truly appreciate your kind understanding.

    Best regards,

    Shyamal

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-05-11T11:43:32+00:00

    Hi Pat_Fernandez,

    Thank you for posting. May I know how did external send the calendar invites, is it generated from Outlook desktop or any other application?

    You may check whether you can manually set the reminder, On the Outlook go at the bottom of the screen, click Calendar. Open the meeting. On the Meeting Occurrence tab, on the Option tab click the Reminder dropdown and select how long before the meeting you want to get a reminder. This only applies to the selected meeting in the calendar.

    You may refer to the article to check the detailed steps under Add or remove reminders for meetings

    Moreover, if the above is not your scenario or I have misunderstood anything, please correct me and provide us with detailed example screenshot information about the issue including the Outlook desktop version via the private message so that we can check to further assist you.

    I have sent you private message and here is the link to access it: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/privatemessage/inbox

    Your patience and cooperation are highly appreciated.

    Best regards,

    Shyamal

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments