In New Outlook, how do I get to create a message form User Templates in File System?

Anonymous
2023-04-21T11:14:18+00:00

Hello,

I have several standard message templates that I currently access from the Home ribbon by clicking New Items->More Items-Choose Form. In the Choose Form dialog I change Look in to User Templates in File System and I can choose the template I want.

How do I do the same in New Outlook?

Thanks,

Paul

Outlook | Windows | New Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-10-17T14:41:45+00:00

    Microsoft does have a solution, but it's painful to setup.

    To add "My Templates" to Apps in the new Outlook, follow these steps:

    1. Open a new email message in the new Outlook.
    2. Click on the "Insert" tab at the top of the email window.
    3. Select "Apps" from the dropdown menu.
    4. In the Apps window, click on "Add apps."
    5. Search for "My Templates" in the search bar.
    6. Click on "My Templates" and then click "Add" to install it.

    Once installed, you can access "My Templates" by clicking on the "Apps" button in the "Insert" tab and selecting "My Templates" from the list

    To add "My Templates" to a new email in the new Outlook, follow these steps:

    1. When composing a new message, go to the "Insert" tab.
    2. Click on "Apps" and then select "My Templates" from the dropdown menu.
    3. Your email templates will show up as they used to, but with some extra steps. 1

    If you need to create a new template, you can do so by:

    1. Opening a new email message in the new Outlook.
    2. Composing the email message as you would like it to appear in the template.
    3. Clicking on the three dots in the bottom right corner of the email message window.
    4. Selecting "Save as template" from the dropdown menu. 2 .

    I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-10-17T13:07:05+00:00

    Would you mind sharing a screenshot of where you see "My templates" on the New Mail? I am not seeing it and use templates constantly in my day to day responsibilities at work.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-06-25T02:19:07+00:00

    If you save your templates in your OneDrive, you can access it through the OneDrive Icon (it's located in the group of icons with the Calendar, People, Groups, To Do) under "My Files". This might work with non OFT files.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-05-28T14:48:56+00:00

    This would be perfect, except that my organization just switched from Google, so I don't have any .oft files saved. Does anyone know if it's possible to write some in Notepad or something?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-05-15T04:37:45+00:00

    Solution by Cameron Powell1 is the best answer:

    • works the same in classic and new outlook, and it simplifies a lot the process of using full templates with prefilled Subject and Recipients
    • just double click on the .oft file.

    The concept is so simple it is surprising it is not available in Outlook online, nor explained in standard documentation instead of the insane digging through several menus and dialogs (New Items/More items/Choose Form/User Tenplates in File System...)

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/send-an-email-message-based-on-a-template-56c645fc-1b25-4059-808b-55ee72b6bc2d.

    Simple trick was there all this time, I never figured it out, thanks Cameron.

    Note that by dragging the .oft file to outlook icon in the taskbar you can pin it for easy access with right click if you only have a few templates.

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments