Spam in hotmail account 2022

Anonymous
2022-11-23T20:14:58+00:00

The junk e-mail filter does not appear to be working since the start of 2022. It’s like the full filtering has been turned off overnight. Junk that was normally not in my inbox is now coming in at dozens a day. I can’t seem to find a setting for filtering strictness in the settings either. Does anyone know what changed since 2022? I am seriously considering closing my account that I have been using since 1993.

Online descriptions of issues say that i can work with automatic filtering - my hotmail outlook doesnt even have a ribbon anymore! Can anyone help me? I cant keep blocking individually or using yhe blocked senders function because if the randomly generated domain names with each junk email.

Isthere away of only letting through safe senders?

Outlook | Outlook for mobile | Outlook for Android | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-03-09T02:43:14+00:00

    None of this is working. I cannot believe I pay a yearly subscription to Microsoft that has a malfunctioning and ineffective email. My inbox went from none to now 100+ junk emails a day. I am unable to find the emails I need because there's so much spam it is impossible to even try.

    When will Microsoft fix this?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-03-09T12:12:55+00:00

    I wrote to support and kept getting ignored ( they emailed me each time, telling they'd closed the case without even acknowledging that I'd written to them).

    So, I wrote to the CEO.

    That got their attention.

    What seems to have solved the issue is to go to your junk folder settings and delete your blocked senders and domains and delete your safe senders as well.

    Pain in the **** having to block and re add you safe senders, but it seems to have worked.

    I don't pay for their services, and I'm glad I don't, judging by what you and other subscribers are complaining of!

    Definitely ask for your subscription back!

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-03-17T22:00:34+00:00

    Reporting this as phishing or blocking only seems to make it worse ... this has has gotten harmful and obnoxious it is time for a class action lawsuit and complaints to the FTC!

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-04-10T18:28:35+00:00

    The issue with spam in Hotmail has been an issue since things went to outlook.com in my opinion. I have always marked all the junk as spam, but in the past several months, this only brought an enormous uptick in spam. Those that I marked as spam consistently land in my inbox, so MS's spam filtering technology is no longer working. DAILY, I am deleting more than 300 junk emails. I've had my hotmail account for decades now, but I can see that it's likely time to release it. So sad that I'll need to move my personal email over to Gmail after being a dedicated MS supporter all this time. Personally, I think that MS is trying to get rid of the hotmail accounts, because they certainly aren't giving us any support whatsoever.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-04-16T21:50:57+00:00

    There is something sinister going on with hotmail. Since 2022, there has been a high level of spam hitting my inbox, even though some of it gets sent to the junk folder. This behavior is greater if you use the free app from Microsoft on Android or on Windows. If you use the paid services like outlook 365, you dont see the same level of phishing attacks. The filtering seems to be more effective in filtering email from genuine sources than from Phising senders.

    It is as if Microsoft has turned of the spam filtering they were doing in their back end and off loaded it to their 'free' apps such as Android version of outlook, to encourage their users to use paid subscriptions.

    I dont see as much spam/phishing in Yahoo, Google mail services. In fact my Google account has received no spam.

    What is going on? Microsoft has always been shady about this.

    All help suggest setting the filtering to allow mail from known senders. I dont really want to do this, since it is not possible to know the sender before they have sent me mail. MS needs to keep out mail that is being send from Spurious addresses. It is hard to believe in the age of Chat GPT, they cannot do a decent job like Google.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments