Delay rule in Outlook causing emails to get permanently stuck in outbox

Anonymous
2023-01-18T15:42:26+00:00

I have a three minute delay rule set up in Outlook. Previously this has worked with no issues, however, now about 50% of my emails get stuck in my outbox when they send. After hitting send the email goes to the outbox with the 'editing' symbol (piece of paper with pencil) next to it rather than the 'send' arrow symbol. If, after three minutes, send/receive is pressed the email won't send. If the email is opened and send hit again it wont send. The only way to send the email is to copy the text into a new email and send that. If I turn the rule off the issue goes away.

My internal IT department has been unable to help, they have run the repair function, created a new profile and reduced the downloaded emails, none of which helped.

Thanks in advance for contributions.

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-05-16T14:13:44+00:00

    same!!!! I call someone 2 hours later to ask about an email that never went anywhere! I am still not seeing a fix on this and I have all the setting the same as what they suggested. So frustrating.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-07-25T09:40:30+00:00

    Same here, I've been using this feature for years and since a couple of months this feature is broken. I confirm that checking the outbox during the delay time seems to be the cause of the problem. Dragging and dropping to Drafts folder and then hitting send works every time but this workaround is very tedious and not ideal. Please fix this. This is a crucial feature for many!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-09-04T09:16:49+00:00

    Same issue

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-09-12T00:44:14+00:00

    i have same problem latest ver outlook

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-09-17T08:14:26+00:00

    Have the same issue, tested new email profile, clear the outlook folder under AppData -> Local -> Microsoft

    removed and re created the rule. It works for a few minutes and then stops again and mails not being sent. Sometimes when changing the delay time it works for a few min again then stops. Using Outlook 365 classic and i was not able to find an option in rules to create one in the "new" version of outlook

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments