Delay rule in Outlook causing emails to get permanently stuck in outbox

Anonymous
2023-01-18T15:42:26+00:00

I have a three minute delay rule set up in Outlook. Previously this has worked with no issues, however, now about 50% of my emails get stuck in my outbox when they send. After hitting send the email goes to the outbox with the 'editing' symbol (piece of paper with pencil) next to it rather than the 'send' arrow symbol. If, after three minutes, send/receive is pressed the email won't send. If the email is opened and send hit again it wont send. The only way to send the email is to copy the text into a new email and send that. If I turn the rule off the issue goes away.

My internal IT department has been unable to help, they have run the repair function, created a new profile and reduced the downloaded emails, none of which helped.

Thanks in advance for contributions.

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-04-18T15:47:46+00:00

    There is no real glitch, I found best practice is to NOT open the email once it's in the outbox. Just leave it alone and it will go. If you second-guess yourself on the email content or attachment, do a new email instead.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-04-18T15:58:36+00:00

    There's a huge glitch. I've had them sit in there permanently. Many times I was just sending them and forgetting about them only to find they were still in the outbox days later.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-04-29T17:43:42+00:00

    Same problem for me. I was not able to disable the Adobe Cloud add-in (though I do have it, so perhaps that is my problem).

    For what it is worth, temporary fix for me: Drag and drop the stuck message from the Outbox to my Sent Items. Go to Sent Items, reopen e-mail. Now hit SEND again. This time, it reactivated and sent out. For me, sending again from the Outbox without moving it did not change the stuck status of the message.

    The problem occurs when I send an e-mail. Remember or see something I want to change during the delay time period (which is literally why I have the rule), and reopen. And hit send again. Without the above steps, the resend does not rearm the e-mail, and it stays stuck.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-04-29T17:46:17+00:00

    Oh, I just posted this discovery too. Your solution is even better. But moving to Sent folder (and then finding and resending) also worked.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-05-14T21:18:02+00:00

    I've been having the same problem for a couples months. DuckDodge****1 suggestion was very helpful but it's crazy that you should have to do this.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments