Delay rule in Outlook causing emails to get permanently stuck in outbox

Anonymous
2023-01-18T15:42:26+00:00

I have a three minute delay rule set up in Outlook. Previously this has worked with no issues, however, now about 50% of my emails get stuck in my outbox when they send. After hitting send the email goes to the outbox with the 'editing' symbol (piece of paper with pencil) next to it rather than the 'send' arrow symbol. If, after three minutes, send/receive is pressed the email won't send. If the email is opened and send hit again it wont send. The only way to send the email is to copy the text into a new email and send that. If I turn the rule off the issue goes away.

My internal IT department has been unable to help, they have run the repair function, created a new profile and reduced the downloaded emails, none of which helped.

Thanks in advance for contributions.

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-01-25T20:04:08+00:00

    Same issue! But I do not even have Adobe add in so that is not my issue. Seems like a Microsoft issue that they need to fix

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-02-01T09:44:57+00:00

    For me the fix was to uncheck the iCloud Outlook Add-in that apparently was installed automatically when I installed iCloud for Windows.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-03-26T21:09:46+00:00

    That used to work but now it doesn't.

    What helped me today was going into my Outlook webmail and repeating those steps. I was able to successfully push meeting invites and emails out. Ideally, would love a more permanent fix.

    I've also followed the Add-In/Adobe instructions Terri Becker offered in the hopes I don't have to repeat any manual intervention steps.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-03-28T15:59:23+00:00

    Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!! It has been a whole year of me accidentally sending emails too quickly because I couldn't get this rule to work!!! Thanks for saving me a lot of headaches!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-03-30T18:16:49+00:00

    Dear Community Members,

    I am very glad I found this thread. I did experience the issue for a while.

    I do not have the add-in Adobe Document Cloud for Microsoft Outlook.

    The resolution for me was to disable two barely used add-ins:

    • Microsoft IME Outlook アドイン
    • Outlook Social Connector 2016

    Outlook seemed to hang for a few seconds. I waited then I tested my defer rule and it worked.

    It is worth noting enabling again the two add-ins above did not affect the resolution. The defer rule continued to work even with the two add-ins enabled back again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments