How to Open a .PST file from the new outlook. File menu disapeared

Anonymous
2023-05-22T09:26:58+00:00

Hi,

I tried the new Outlook for windows, I realized the File menu -and others- disappeared.

How can I open a .PST file? to work on old mail files?

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

50 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2023-12-13T16:02:53+00:00

    I just tried the "new outlook" and going to be honest here, we are a commercial printing company and I receive large files on daily basis. I have every email for the past 13 years but I have .pst for each year (not all loaded into Outlook). Not having .PST is a huge issue for us with archival. I don't need 1gb+ of emails loaded onto Outlook, I really just need the present and previous year most of the time. I've already archived 2022 since we are going into 2024. I'm not sure why Microsoft would eliminate this capability other than a security deal so employees aren't stealing communications or something. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Looks like I'm going to have to keep one workstation using the old and my daily using the new outlook.

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-11-11T21:09:04+00:00

    Need to do better than this. Microsoft takes me to the new Outlook version but then I cannot access my archived email .pst data files. No use to simply switch over and lose these .pst data files. Not a satisfactory solution - want to stay on old outlook or windows mail app until proper solution in place. What to do we do, cross our fingers and hope for the best?

    "PST support in the new Outlook for Windows

    Thank you for trying the new Outlook for Windows. Currently, Outlook data files (.pst) are not supported in the new Outlook. You can switch back to the classic Outlook for Windows and access those files at any time using the toggle in the upper right corner of the app."

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-05-22T11:08:10+00:00

    Dear Fadi Mohieddine (ACT)"),

    Thank you for visiting Microsoft Community.

    We understand you are encountering issue that you cannot open a PST file in new outlook .

    The .pst file support is not available in New Outlook for Windows. This feature is in "coming soon" status. You can find the same information from Getting started with the new Outlook for Windows - Microsoft Support .

    For easy and quick reference, here summaries screenshot for specific .pst file feature and status.

    Since New Outlook for Windows is in still development, so many features are still not available. So, if needed, you can revert to old Outlook by Turn off - Try the new Outlook option.

    Thank you so much for your precious time and kind cooperation.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-12-14T02:31:17+00:00

    I do not want to keep my emails on the cloud.

    There are environments that require email to be kept locally.

    For now, you can click the "Try the new Outlook"  Off  to continue using the current Outlook with access to pst files.

    I am concerned this option may go away. I hope the new Outlook will eventually support a local pst file.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-01-05T20:53:11+00:00

    The PST file support feature is still "coming soon"
    What does "soon" really mean? For my dog, 1 year is like 1/12th of his life (he's a big boy)
    But for the planet... a year is nothing.
    Seeing as most software lives at most a decade, I'm going with big dog time scales.
    This "coming soon" feature has probably been potty-trained but still chews on your shoes.

    Was this answer helpful?

    9 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments