Reply All does not work showing "The operation failed" error

Anonymous
2022-02-06T18:14:06+00:00

Using Microsoft Outlook version 2201 (Preview Channel) I get the same error on two different computers when I use Reply All:

The operation failed. The messaging interfaces have returned an unknown error. If the problem persists, restart Oulook.

I already tried to restart outlook, change profile, create another profile, but the error continues.

Creating a new profile I also created a new .OST file, so I would exclude that the issue is a corrupt file.

The error does not show when I am connected to a personal Hotmail account. The error only shows up on my work account.

Because it happens now on two different computers (desktop and notebook) it does not seem something corrupted at the PC level.

Additional note: also ReplyAll from VBA (using Outlook.MailItem) failed, in that case without showing the dialog box UI.

The Reply and Forward buttons and corresponding VBA commands work regularly.

I also monitored with Process Explorer to see whether there are errors accessing Registry or File System, but I didn't see any particular error when I click "Reply All".

In the Event Viewer I have this entry in the Microsoft Office Alerts:

Microsoft Outlook

The operation failed.  The messaging interfaces have returned an unknown error. If the problem persists, restart Outlook.

P1: 301670

P2: 16.0.14827.20186

P3: 

P4: 0x80004005

My only suspect at this point is that there is something that happens with version 2201, but I don't know how to get more details about the error to investigate deeper. Any help would be welcome.

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-02-15T00:04:41+00:00

    Contacted support per your request.

    Reply All to any message generates the error dialog "The operation failed. The messaging interfaces have returned an unknown error. If the problem persists, restart Outlook." Restarting doesn't help, nor did deleting and recreating the Outlook profile and OST files. Reply works fine. Reply All works if there is only one recipient. Of the three Exchange Online accounts in the Outlook profile, this only affects one of them: ******@countryday.net. On two other machines with this account ******@countryday.net, one is affected and the other is not. No wonder this is difficult for you to reproduce.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-02-15T07:49:01+00:00

    I had already opened an In App ticket, so I have submitted the logs there as well.

    I have 1 Exchange (Office 365) account and 2 shared mailboxes, the issue occurs in all mailboxes.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-02-15T07:51:04+00:00

    I confirm the same behavior:

    1 - Office 365 primary account - Reply All does not work.

    2 - Office 365 an additional account - Reply All Works

      • Outlook.com account - Reply All Works

    I have this same behavior on different computers: in one of them, I had the beta channel, now reverted to Current Channel This is the first PC where the problem appeared.

    The other computer never went to Beta, it was on Current Channel (Preview) only and now reverted to Current Channel.

    I also tried to uninstall and reinstall Office 365, no differences.

    In my case, Reply All never works, even though I try to reply to an email with a single person.

    In my case, the Reply All does not work even if I try to create a new profile

    I opened a ticket with Microsoft support (Case #:29595483), so far they didn't ask for any log or other details.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-02-15T15:07:25+00:00

    One other aspect to this: While Reply and Reply All work when there is one recipient, clicking on one of the "Start your reply all with" suggestions generates the error even with one recipient.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-02-15T16:54:10+00:00

    My Reply All issue is 100% whenever I click the reply all button and when clicking on suggestions.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments