Using Classic Outlook on Windows for personal email, calendar, and contact management
Same issue with Reply All.
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
Using Microsoft Outlook version 2201 (Preview Channel) I get the same error on two different computers when I use Reply All:
The operation failed. The messaging interfaces have returned an unknown error. If the problem persists, restart Oulook.
I already tried to restart outlook, change profile, create another profile, but the error continues.
Creating a new profile I also created a new .OST file, so I would exclude that the issue is a corrupt file.
The error does not show when I am connected to a personal Hotmail account. The error only shows up on my work account.
Because it happens now on two different computers (desktop and notebook) it does not seem something corrupted at the PC level.
Additional note: also ReplyAll from VBA (using Outlook.MailItem) failed, in that case without showing the dialog box UI.
The Reply and Forward buttons and corresponding VBA commands work regularly.
I also monitored with Process Explorer to see whether there are errors accessing Registry or File System, but I didn't see any particular error when I click "Reply All".
In the Event Viewer I have this entry in the Microsoft Office Alerts:
Microsoft Outlook
The operation failed. The messaging interfaces have returned an unknown error. If the problem persists, restart Outlook.
P1: 301670
P2: 16.0.14827.20186
P3:
P4: 0x80004005
My only suspect at this point is that there is something that happens with version 2201, but I don't know how to get more details about the error to investigate deeper. Any help would be welcome.
Using Classic Outlook on Windows for personal email, calendar, and contact management
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Hi all,
The Outlook In App Support Team has submitted a bug for this issue and currently working to investigate it. We do not have an internal repro though, so we need to get logs and traces to help investigate. If you have not opened an In App ticket, please do. It appears all of you are Insiders so you should have this option. In Outlook click Help, Contact Support, and proceed through to submit a ticket and upload logs.
Does this issue happen for all of your accounts and all of your emails? If it happens with any specific account type that might help us repro it. For example, does it only happen with POP/IMAP/Exchange accounts? If you have any other observations that might help repro, please let me know.
I have three accounts connected to my Outlook:
1 - Office 365 primary account - Reply All does not work.
2 - Office 365 an additional account - Reply All Works
Both the Office 365 are in my same subscription just different domains.
Thanks Gabriel. Logs submitted.
I'm the only person in our tenant experiencing the problem however likely the only person using the beta channel. I experience the error while trying to replyall from my own mailbox as well as from a shared mailbox. mailboxes are mounted via standard outlook mapi connection with a single account and shared mailboxes automount. The error occurs when I hit replyall whether there is only one recipient or many. ctrl+shift+r also produces the problem.
I created a new outlook profile and pointed at a shared mailbox i have access to (using my own creds for auth) and the replyall works properly. that makes me think its not exclusively the outlook app but a combination of the outlook app and the mailbox its connected to.
Thank you Jonny and J. I'll see if this can help us figure out a repro while the devs review the logs.