Reply All does not work showing "The operation failed" error

Anonymous
2022-02-06T18:14:06+00:00

Using Microsoft Outlook version 2201 (Preview Channel) I get the same error on two different computers when I use Reply All:

The operation failed. The messaging interfaces have returned an unknown error. If the problem persists, restart Oulook.

I already tried to restart outlook, change profile, create another profile, but the error continues.

Creating a new profile I also created a new .OST file, so I would exclude that the issue is a corrupt file.

The error does not show when I am connected to a personal Hotmail account. The error only shows up on my work account.

Because it happens now on two different computers (desktop and notebook) it does not seem something corrupted at the PC level.

Additional note: also ReplyAll from VBA (using Outlook.MailItem) failed, in that case without showing the dialog box UI.

The Reply and Forward buttons and corresponding VBA commands work regularly.

I also monitored with Process Explorer to see whether there are errors accessing Registry or File System, but I didn't see any particular error when I click "Reply All".

In the Event Viewer I have this entry in the Microsoft Office Alerts:

Microsoft Outlook

The operation failed.  The messaging interfaces have returned an unknown error. If the problem persists, restart Outlook.

P1: 301670

P2: 16.0.14827.20186

P3: 

P4: 0x80004005

My only suspect at this point is that there is something that happens with version 2201, but I don't know how to get more details about the error to investigate deeper. Any help would be welcome.

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2022-04-04T08:52:50+00:00

    Hi

    Creating a new profile do not always solves the issue. Didn't for me.

    But it's true that I have a big number of aliases. What was said in previous messages is not completely correct. The number of aliases is not what we see clicking on the from field, aliases are defined on the admin portal as a user setting.

    They can be checked going in the Global Address Book, / affected used / "Email addresses" tab. I have 44 there, which might be the issue.

    Cheers

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-03-23T18:47:35+00:00

    Dutch,

    This issue will require creating a new Outlook profile to overcome, Create an Outlook profile (microsoft.com).

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-03-23T18:21:26+00:00

    I have had this problem on two computers through several preview channel releases, and the failure occurs on release 2203.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-02-23T13:36:18+00:00

    Reply All is still working for me today. I'll post here if the situation changes. If you want to reference my case with Outlook in-app support, now closed, the case number is 1663610532. Jeff.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-02-23T10:43:25+00:00

    I have bad news.

    Yesterday with the new profile the Reply All feature worked.

    Now it no longer works – I’m still using the new profile I created yesterday, which is now fully synchronized.

    When yesterday it was working, the synchronization was still in progress.

    I also asked Microsoft to reopen the ticket.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments