Outlook stuck on synchronizing folders

Anonymous
2023-06-26T16:15:19+00:00

Just installed a new workstation and the user is not receiving emails. At the bottom there's a bar that says 'synchronizing inbox' - I've tried the IMAP settings to unsubscribe from the folders and also tried unchecking the microsoft cloud setting but still nothing. When I click details in send/receive it says 6 minutes remaining but it's been stuck there for 2 hours.

Help!

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2023-06-26T18:02:30+00:00

    Dear Aaron Mackler,

    Thanks for choosing Microsoft Community.

    Based on your desrciption, I know the scenario you met. For this, please be kindly to try following steps to see if it helps: 

    1. Open Outlook and go to File> Options> Advanced> Send/receive> click on the send/receive button, then click Edit.
    2. Find your account and un-check the option "Get folder unread count for subscribed folders"
    3. Under Received mail items, check the option "User the custom behavior defined below"
    4. In the window below that displays your IMAP folders just select inbox and leave the others unchecked
    5. Click ok and then exit out of options and perform a send/receive to test if there is any improvement.

    Hope the suggestions above can help you. If there is any update, please feel free to let me know. Your understanding and co-operation are highly appreciated.

    Thanks for your precious time. Have a nice day.

    Sincerely,

    Katherine

    Was this answer helpful?

    100+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-10-04T17:05:12+00:00

    I am having the same problem. Unresolved so far.

    I had tried to download the Beta which sems to have triggered the constant synchronizing.

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-09-21T11:34:53+00:00

    How do you perform that task when Outlook won't open as the user indicated? This has happened to me frequently. I've had to manually rebuild my profile to get Outlook to work again. I've simply reverted to using webmail because the client constantly crashes.

    Can't adjust the settings that you mentioned if Outlook won't open...

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-10-16T07:23:56+00:00

    I find this problem occurs more often with larger mailboxes, e.g. those over 5 gigabytes or so.

    @katherine's advice worked on a 7 gigabyte mailbox.

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-10-03T13:02:00+00:00

    Having the same issue. So frustrated.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments