Fake "Microsoft Outlook" robo e-mail

Anonymous
2022-05-15T18:01:24+00:00

An e-mail from "Microsoft Outlook" automatically shows up within seconds of opening my Hotmail account. The "MO e-mail will not let me send it to junk, delete it, etc. nor, when hovering over the address, does it ID anything about the sender. It does have three options: open it, trash can, or a square with the word Ad in it. The Subject line says: Upgrade Your Account Get the latest premium etc. I close out of Hotmail, even shut down my computer, but the "MO email" shows up within seconds of login. Is there any way to block this (what-I-believe-is-robo) spam? Need help!  Thx.

Outlook | MacOS | Legacy Outlook for Mac | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-07-05T06:54:59+00:00

    I did the same, ended up wiping the computer and reinstalling, but am still getting these robo emails which parade themselves as different companies which I still cannot do anything but use the bin icon, I only get one each time I open my emails, I also used Avast but it did not get rid of this issue, I found Microsoft Edge seems to be causing problems so have installed Chrome and removed Edge, I have not yet tried blocking these emails as I doubt i8f I will be able to, tried before and didn't work

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-07-04T22:20:48+00:00

    I have had similar issues and had constant junk mail. The hackers used a fake outlook page and try to steal your log in details. I actually had to wipe my hard drive to clear the issues and then i ran the anti virus scans including boot and changed my outlook password. Still getting some junk but at least have the option to block and report phishing. I also use an Avast VPN on laptop and mobile.

    After clearing the hard drive ( and saving to a USB ) and after I ran the Avast Quick scan and deep scan and boot scan ..I had an alert that Avast had blocked a phishing program that was trying to get installed on my laptop. I then sent this file to Avast on their system to investigate it.

    I also had a few phone calls on my mobile phone purporting to be website development companies and health companies etc etc and they’re all from Vietnam.

    I had a whistle ready and as soon as I heard the hackers Vietnamese voice saying he was a website building company and that I’d won a free £200 gift and wanted my bank card so he could credit my card …I then blew my whistle into the phone ! Haven’t had any other calls since then.

    I now type in the browser the website I want and don’t search on Google

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-06-24T11:22:25+00:00

    Here is what the Ad from Microsoft looks like:

    Inbox view:

    Email view:

    It shoes "Get the latest premium Outlook features" with a "Learn More" link, but the link is not clickable.

    Here is the HTML view:

    There is an empty iframe and an img that doesn't appear but it's there in the backend:

    https://res.cdn.office.net/owamail/20220603005.10/resources/images/ads-olk-inhouse-readingpane.png

    Also, when in the email view, you can't reply/reply-all/forward or see more actions like a regular email.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-06-24T10:42:06+00:00

    Who or whatever it is is definitely using these "ads" in the UK too. I'm in the UK and im the latest victim of the robo ad. If this is really Microsoft, then id say its a new low for them.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-06-18T01:55:21+00:00

    I cannot believe Microsoft would call that an "ad." Look up Microsoft Advertising. They do robust, multi-billion dollar, customer-safe campaigns. That e-mail does not inspire customer-safety nor is typical of Microsoft advertising campaigns.

    What proof do you have that it is an ad from Microsoft?

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments