Hi Don, when the first email came in as I thought it was from Microsoft I was using Microsoft Edge. Clicked on it before I realised it was a robo mail. Then could not get rid of it, I have since changed Browsers to Chrome and yesterday had to follow some steps as I was getting constant interruptions on my internet. After that iuninstalled and reinstalled. Touch wood has been alright since, but the robo emails are still coming in, only one at a time on the top line, cannot be marked as junk or deleted or anything, only using the bin icon can I get rid of it, but it does not go to deleted items or anywhere, it just vanishes.
Mary
OK. Not your fault but i now know what everyone is complaining about. These are not "fake" ads. They are ads and are really from Microsoft/outlook. These are reportedly replacing the ads on the right side and it appears that not all outlook.com users are seeing this change.
These aren't email messages, that's why they can't be deleted or marked as Junk. An ad-blocker *might* block them. I can't experiment because I'm not yet seeing these. I still see ads on the right side.
Two safe, popular ad-blockers you could try are
https://adblockplus.org/
and
https://ublockorigin.com/
These are both safe but may occasionally block legitimate content. Any ad-blocker can do this.
If an ad-blocker doesn't block these ads, there's really nothing you can do except ignore them.
Don